 Star Wars / 4385
Re: Shoddy MF
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 22:09:37 GMT

Lorbaat <eric@nospam.thirteen.net> wrote in message
news:FKy6x4.LuI@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.starwars, John VanZwieten writes:

Charles Spindell <legomenace@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Please someone tell me that this is just a bad nightmare.  Wake me up!

I agree, the MF is just terrible.

I'm about to advance a very unpopular opinion, but one I think others might
have, as well:

I *like* the MF.  Sure, it's not perfect.  Ben Fleskes' is perfect (well,
assuming TLG would tool up a better cockpit piece- no offense, Ben, you only
had so much to work with, you know?).  It would also cost several hundred
dollars.

TLG's official LEGO set is a good compromise between design and cost, • though.
C'mon- did anyonre *really* expect them not to use the saucer elements?  And
once you're using those, the scale is pretty much set up for you.  You're • done.

TLG makes the bricks!  They could easily have created larger saucer sections,
or better yet used good old (and new) fashioned slopes.  Even using the saucer
elements, they could have done much better with what to put between them.  I
guess I'd be interested in ideas of how TLG could have made this worse than
they did.

The cockpit is pathetic!  If you're going to go the the trouble to make a • new
piece, why not at least make it look like the "real" thing.

I think the thing I'm *happiest* about with it is the cockpit.  It's a very
nice canopy piece, and I can already see other uses for it.  It looks to me
like whether the LEGO model seat two abreast or not, it can be made to.
Probably even four, two by two.

I've been trying to figure this one out.  Is it really possible to put 2
minifigs inside a space only 6 studs across?  I know the landspeeder puts two
passengers side by side, but don't their hands overlap the side thinwall
pieces?  In a quick test wit a couple of minifigs, sitting side by side they
span 6 complete studs between the outside hands--no room for the cockpit
walls.  In any case, the printing on this piece could much better model the
MF.

It looks like they are continuing the Kenner myth of laser cannons between • the
mandibles.

When has Kenner put laser cannons between the mandibles?  Oh, you're • referring
to the POTF Millenium Falcon re-release that has the light elements *on* the
mandibles.

Yeah, that's the one.  For some reason I was thinking the light elements were
inside the mandibles.

No, I doubt it.  I would bet that thoe elements are just meant to be • decorative
"greeblies" (as ILM used to call useless techie bits).  Many of the Falcon
production models have cargo beams there.

I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt here.  The laser pieces are nice in
black.

It appears to me that only the top two lasers on the quad laser cannon • pivot
up and down--very lame!

I'd be you're wrong there, too.  It looks to me like the cannon is made of • the
1x2 hinge brick bottom with the 1x4 plate hinge top.

You're right.  For some reason they looked like 1x1 bricks w/ headlight on the
bottom row.

The 2x2 tiles for the aft engine vents--more lame.

And you'd have them use...?

3x3 tiles?  They make the bricks, ya know.

Some maccaroni bricks, some tiles, a few slopes--all will contribute to
building a decent MF.

And now you've hit upon the real beauty of LEGO.  Don't like it?  Design one
yourself.  I'm happy LEGO even attempted the set, because it gives us a good
cockpit piece.  It also give us more generic saucer sections.  Not to • mention
all the minifigs, and a starting point to a better looking Falcon.

I guess I was hoping for a better start.  I'd have paid considerably more for
a Falcon built using slopes.  While I'll like having the more generic saucer
sections, they'll be the first things ripped off as I make my own
modifications.  Fortunately I loaded up on gray slopes at Mindfest :-)

It's not like I won't be getting this set, and depending on the innards I
might get multiples.  I just don't think it measures up to the quality of most
of the other SW sets.

-John Van