 Star Wars / 4370
Re: Shoddy MF
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 17:33:03 GMT

Charles Spindell <legomenace@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:FKwzs8.BLM@lugnet.com...
It's true.  The worthless picture that was posted a few weeks ago is the MF
that will be released with some minor changes.  For all of those who claimed
we should have more faith in TLG...  now what?!  I gave TLG the benefit of • the
doubt when it released the Sith Infiltrator.  I even faithfully bought the
Gungan Sub just to get the young Obi-Wan.

How could TLG group do this to us?  From what I can see, the cockpit of the • MF
can only seat one figure.  The proportions are way off.  And the use of the
UFO parts for the top of the MF looks horrible.

I thought that I would buy all of the sets, but this is one that I am not • sure
about.  However, it is probably the only one with a Han Solo minifig in his
black vest so I will probably be forced to shell out my hard earned money • for
this *#!@!.

Please someone tell me that this is just a bad nightmare.  Wake me up!

I agree, the MF is just terrible.

The cockpit is pathetic!  If you're going to go the the trouble to make a new
piece, why not at least make it look like the "real" thing.  Unless it's just
the glare, they didn't even put the radial lines on the front face of the
cockpit. It is possible that those are thinwall under the tan 1x8s so that the
cockpit could accomodate two pilots, but somehow I doubt it.

What's the deal with only partially attaching the top front 6x14 plate at an
angle like they did in the picture?  What are they trying to hide under there?
Maybe the fact that those big plates just sticking out from the hull of the
ship w/o much between them is lame?

It looks like they are continuing the Kenner myth of laser cannons between the
mandibles.

It appears to me that only the top two lasers on the quad laser cannon pivot
up and down--very lame!

The 2x2 tiles for the aft engine vents--more lame.

I shudder to think of what they did for the actual engine.

Did anyone else notice they didn't even bother with left-right variants on the
hull printing?

As for saving graces:  I can't really find any in terms of the form of the
ship.  Well, I guess the TIE cockpit does OK for the side portals.  Maybe the
inside will be better?  That leaves me with the prospect of buying the
ultimate Star Wars ship for the _parts_ and the minifigs.  It will be nice to
have all those wings and large plates in gray, and the non-ufo hull pieces
could be put to use somehow--as Ben Gatrelle's water tower if nothing else.
Some maccaroni bricks, some tiles, a few slopes--all will contribute to
building a decent MF.

I do like a lot of the other new SW models, esp. EP 1, but as far as I'm
concerned the MF is a barely mitigated dissaster.

-John Van