 Star Wars / 4355
Re: Shoddy MF
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 05:40:06 GMT

   Hi, everyone, and welcome to today's episode of "Point:Counterpoint."

Charles Spindell wrote:

It's true.  The worthless picture that was posted a few weeks ago is the MF
that will be released with some minor changes.  For all of those who claimed
we should have more faith in TLG...  now what?!  I gave TLG the benefit of the
doubt when it released the Sith Infiltrator.  I even faithfully bought the
Gungan Sub just to get the young Obi-Wan.

I bought it to get a huge mess o' good parts.  There are a lot of pieces that just
don't come freely from anywhere else.  To be honest I could care less about having
an Obi-Wan (gasp!), but the clear pieces and all the grey, blue, and dark
grey...mmm.  Before anyone asks, thuough, now that I've got an Obi-Wan I *will* be
keeping him.  ;)

How could TLG group do this to us?  From what I can see, the cockpit of the MF
can only seat one figure.  The proportions are way off.  And the use of the
UFO parts for the top of the MF looks horrible.

OK.  I'll reiterate my earlier defence of the MF:  I actually like it.  I want to
see the underside before I can make that definitive, but I really think they
handled the compression issue well given the constraints of making it "affordable"
(e.g., under $200).  The UFO panels?  I can already think of a huge number of
projects that need non-UFO-pattern panels like that, and that new canopy makes all
sorts of new ship projects feasible.  I'm not sure it's a one-seater; if it were,
why would it be 6+ wide?  (If you look at it, it looks to be a hair over 6 studs
wide--enough to seat two side by side, with perhaps one standing behind?)

I thought that I would buy all of the sets, but this is one that I am not sure
about.  However, it is probably the only one with a Han Solo minifig in his
black vest so I will probably be forced to shell out my hard earned money for
this *#!@!.

Again, I think it'll be another excellent parts mill, and I don't think it's
*that* bad (although I will agree that the center aft is way too compressed; those
vents need to be spaced out).

Please someone tell me that this is just a bad nightmare.  Wake me up!

Nah.  Just think:  The MTT is brown and grey, not red!  The AAT includes two tan
X-Wing engine cylinders!  Tan 8x8 radar dishes!  The return of 2x2 steep corner
slopes, and in quantity!  So far, I'm really happy with what I've seen in the
Brickshelf scans.  Check out the "collector's series" models--now *those* look
nice.

Anyhow, just my fiftieth of a buck.  I'm still happy with the MF and its parts.

best,

LFB.