 Star Wars / 14008
Re: Newest UCS set...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:24:02 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jonathan Mizner writes:

Trying to figure out what the globes are made of.  Any ideas?
At first I thought they were the Insectoids domes, but upon closer
inspection it appears to be smooth, and in fact may be a single egg-shaped
part.

I think I can make out a line across the middle, which which suggests they
are two parts.  But I don't think they're 4x4 domes either...

Also, take note of the primary drive engines.  It would
appear that there are some form of circular gray plates inside each one.
Looks like we finally got the 8x8 circular plate in plain old gray.

They can't be 8x8 plates, if the trans-blue dishes are 8x8.  They must be at
least 10x10.

I especially want to see how the ship
stays together, how they manage to accomplish all of the necessary slopes
and angles, and still get it to look correct.

Me too.  For one thing, the designers made the hull by placing the wing
plates so they face angled-edge-inward.  With the straight edge of the wings
facing outward, it makes for a clean line along the edge of the hull.  I
considered this approach when I made my ISD, but found it left too wide a
gap down the middle.  Maybe with the larger scale, the crease will be less
obvoius.

Speaking of scale, it's almost exactly twice as long as mine - it's 37"x23"
and mine is about 19"x12".  That would make it almost eight times as big, by
volume.  It really boggles the mind.

I've already cleared out some prime shelf space room for my 10030...

Jeff J