 Star Wars / 13992
Re: Newest UCS set...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:59:36 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jon Palmer writes:
GRAY!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
And in other news, average price-per-part for pieces in gray drops two and
three thirds percent as bricklink sellers anticipate a sizeable increase of
gray in the market...

Trying to figure out what the globes are made of.  Any ideas?
At first I thought they were the Insectoids domes, but upon closer
inspection it appears to be smooth, and in fact may be a single egg-shaped
part.  Perhaps more interesting are the connector rods on the bottom of the
shield projector.  Gray levers?  Or is the shield projector a single new
piece, connector rods and all?
  There are several other interesting parts I noticed on the ship.
Specifically, look at
http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2002/09/news20020923_2.html
Look at the back of the bridge tower on the starboard side below the shield
projector.  That's no part I've ever seen...  Too narrow to be a 4x7 wing.
Could it be a 6x7 boat end?  No, the studs are set back too far.
</obscurereference>  It would appear we have a new wing piece, 6 studs wide
by 8, possibly 9.  Also, take note of the primary drive engines.  It would
appear that there are some form of circular gray plates inside each one.
Looks like we finally got the 8x8 circular plate in plain old gray.  I have
no idea what the secondary engine cones are, though.  Possible something
from Scala or an engine mount?  And we can be assured that there will be
numerous decorated gray tiles...  I especially want to see how the ship
stays together, how they manage to accomplish all of the necessary slopes
and angles, and still get it to look correct.
  I suspect this may be LD's way of keeping the spacers happy while keeping
within the boundaries of the agreement not to produce any Space models: we
get an awesome Space model, with pounds of gray, and Lucasfilm is happy
since it's their model.  The SSD looks cooler, though... ;)

-Jon