 Star Wars / 11380
Re: I'm back...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 17:37:39 GMT

In lugnet.space, Simon Bateman writes:
http://www.petitmorte.net/the_brick/index.html

He, he, he...back and better than ever.  `, )

Your site is a little too political for my tastes.  The models were mostly
unimpressive, though I do like the Blockade and Heavy Sky models.

I'm glad that I accessed it here at work because at home my piddly little
56k connection wouldn't be able to handle all the extra frills.  The
spinning cube is a nice touch... if frivolous.

Anyway, while I disagree with your views, they are your views and you are
entitled to have them.  I do agree partially with your view of lugnet...

here's an excerpt of what I agree with:
"Lugnet offers an incredible service, a place where Lego enthusiasts can
come to discuss their interests, goals, dreams, etc"

and I partially agree with this statement:
"When someone posts about a model, site, whatever on Lugnet the one thing
you should keep in mind is to NEVER critique it, not even in a nice way,
because that's the quickest way to turn everyone against you. Either you
like the model, or you say nothing"

In actuality, no one seems to have a problem if you critique a model, so
long as you do it in a nice way.  Instead of saying "that sucks!" or "you
should never build anything again!" you should focus on the parts of the
model you like and give constructive criticism on the parts you don't like.
It's only common courtesy... not censorship.

Also, being that this is a community for people who enjoy Lego, and being
that Lego are toys, there are naturally going to be children viewing it.
That said cursing and flaming are not appropriate.  With so many words in
the english language, why do you need to cuss?

Now, for something a bit negative.  It seems to me that the Lugnet
community, at least in the lugnet.space group, has grown into a group of
back-patters.  Certain building styles and details seem to be requirements
for getting responses to your models.  If you don't follow a certain
building style, if you don't detail things correctly, if you don't add
certain bits and pieces to your models, if you don't render your models
perfectly, or take the highest quality pictures, your models are ignored.

It is for this reason that I stopped taking pictures of and rendering my
models to display to the community.  When I build I build for me, I build
what I like.  I don't want to be held to certain standards and limitations.
I don't want to be forced to add details like bathrooms and kitchens to get
my models noticed.  I don't want to have to build gargantuan ships with
docking bays and crew quarters and computer stations to be appreciated.  I
have quit sharing my work because I became tired of it being ignored.

I'm sure that there are plenty of others like me, who have spent hours
Ldrawing or photographing their work to share with the community only to
receive a couple of "not bad" or "neat" replies.

Now, that said, I'm not asking for replies of amazement when I share my
work.  I'm not even asking for acknowledgement.  I realize that everyone has
their own view of what they find cool and what they will comment on.  I
personally have ignored many models that I find uninteresting.  I'm simply
stating why I no longer share my work, why I'm sure others no longer share
theirs, and that because of this the community is most likely missing out on
many amazing models.

Also, I want it to be known that I like many of the models that follow the
apparent "requirements to be acknowledged."  I'm not stating that the models
are bad or even uninteresting, just that they seem to follow certain
patterns that I personally refuse to follow.  I have learned many things
since first discovering Lugnet, and I feel that my building style has
improved immeasurably from being able to see what others have done... but
one thing that I've learned is that trying to please others does not make
for better models.

-Bryan
hobartrus@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/hobartrus/index.html