 Space / 8868
Re: Responses to MOC posting.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 21:40:41 GMT

Well said , I agree %100 with what you are saying. When I posted Pix of my
Praying Manits, I think only 7 people responded. That's ok, because those 7
people ment a alot to me. Your right it's the journey not the destination,
Bravo....

Also, your right about people and posting. For instance I really like the
creations you have made, but I'm not sure if I did a good job following up
and letting you know. Prasie is a good thing, but it may not always come
when you expect it. Again we build for ourselves, we create because we have
the need.

That's good enough for us!
But it's also nice when you connect with someone after all your hard work.

Eric

In lugnet.space, Trevor Pruden writes:
In lugnet.space, Damian Garcia writes:
I agree with the comments made on this line of the thread.  In my opinion it
is not confined to just space though.  In the groups that I (semi) actively
posted in, which were .dat and .space, I noticed most of the
praise/criticism went to established members of the groups.  I don't
disagree with it, nor do I have hard feelings about not getting a bunch of
not have time to post a message praising it.  Like Tobias, I have stopped
posting to the groups with hopes of soliciting responses because you just
won't get them.  In my opinion there is a "sub-group" that exists within
.space.  In order to become a part of this group, you need to make a
substantial contribution to this "sub-group"  by posting a model that will
exceed their expectations of a Lego model.  I am now a re-lurker, uploading
my models to brickshelf when I get a chance, and receiving a message every
now and then from a person that saw a model on the "recent" page.  I still
read .space and enjoy most of the models posted by all, and I am happy this
way.

D M Garcia

I'm going to ignore all the negative posts from way back in the original
thread and talk about a interesting point that has been made here on posting
MOCs and the level of responses we get for it.  I have to agree with Damian.
I'm a very new member of the .space group, and I found that I did not
receive many responses either on most of my MOCs.  But that doesn't really
bother me.  As for the sub-group, yes there may be one, but in my honest
opinion some of the estabished members really have raised the bar on
"pushing the upper limit" models, and so in my opinion really do deserve
much of the praise they get.  It just pushes me to do better, but does not
restrict me from building the way I want to either.  I like to see MOCs that
push the upper bar, even if they are never mine.

I can understand why people give little response to my MOCs too: my pictures
are fuzzy and poor, my MOCs tend to be blocky and utilitarian not because I
can't build but because I like to follow a certain style sometimes, and my
presentation often leaves much to be desired.  But it still won't stop me
from taking part in my favourite personal past time.  Building is fun.  It's
creative.  Who cares what other people think or say?

Still, I too have very little time to respond to other people's posts.  I
also found that when I bring my MOCs (big or small) to live meets where
people can poke and actually see the various details for the first time, I
have received plenty of praise, despite the lack of response online.  My
take on the whole thing is that we should not take it personally if others
don't find our MOCs impressive or don't respond with resounding praise.
There will always be somebody who appreciates our MOCs, and often that
person just doesn't have the time to respond.

Remember:  this is supposed to be fun!  It's the journey, not the destination.

:^)

Have fun everyone!

~Trev
Astro Lift Co.