 Star Wars / *8638 (-20)
  Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego

(...) Uh, it's worth pointing out that the "yellow represents all races" thing is *not* the official TLC line. It's something that people have said to attempt to explain the fact that there are only yellow minifigs. eric (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My 2 cents on the future

Erik, Nice pics. My idea (which I haven't tried yet) involves painting a plain black head and then carefully scraping off the paint to form eyes, eyebrows, a mouth and other details as needed. Love the "animal masks." Great use of pieces! Dave Erik (...) (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego

In lugnet.starwars, David Low writes: (snipping intersting comments that stand fine without need of further comments from me) (...) yellow (...) are (...) I'm not convinced their needs to be a DSM (I'm just using the term out of convenience, BTW) (...) (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Possible ATST woes

(...) Well, other than the click-hinges (which someone else mentioned), they could use the ball-joint legs from the Slizers/Throwbots series. I tried to get this to work a while back- if you position them right with respect to the cockpit, they work (...) (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible ATST woes

(...) The way to answer that is to get jorge to go back to the machine and get the price on a set that is on the shelf. Then we will know for certain. (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego

(...) and (...) I think the contrast between System minifigs and Duplo figs is important. Having Duplo figs with different flesh tones and different sizes reinforces for kids the importance of diversity. People are different colours and adults are (...) (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Possible ATST woes

(...) Jorge made it clear that this information was open to Target customers... No store wants their wholesale pricing (ie cost) to be available to their customers! I belive that he clearly stated that it was the retail price. --Karim (24 years ago, 14-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible ATST woes

(...) For all we know that price could have been a wholesale price. (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: My 2 cents on the future

(...) (DSM pics follow) Do it yourself: that's exactly what I did for "Juba", the character from the movie Gladiator. Several Johnny Thunder minifigs became test subjects. I made a pale one for Maximus. Thinking: it's dumb to leave Maximus yellow (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Possible ATST woes

(...) Mr. Cal... I'm going to have to contradict you here... The first thing I did when I heard about the $10 ATST was a little experiment. I built one exactly as I suggested and it certainly does stand up. It looks like crap, but it stands up. If (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible ATST woes

(...) Jay, I think you are wrong. Actually I know you have to be wrong, since my new "Locust IIC" got nothing but 2 click-hinges to keep the head up (one click- hinge for each leg), and the hinges are doing a fine job. Primus BuS ComStar LEGO (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Cheap sets in the UK ???

(...) Discussion of set discounts in the UK appear more often in the 'Local - United Kingdom' section of Lugnet. But, you have to be quick. JJ. (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  My 2 cents on the future

Hey all, I think it would be great if TLG just started making multiethnic minifigs in all their product lines without any hype or advertising campaign. Just a quiet acknowledgment of the varied skin tones that exist in our world. The one snag I can (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Possible ATST woes

I have to disagree mr Nassar, I have built quite a couple of AT-ST models myself and there is no way that the click-hinges are strong enough to keep the head up. Maybe when you use 2 side by side but that would make the legs too thick and it would (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible ATST woes

(...) huge (...) Not necessarily... In fact, with the click-hinges, it's possible to make working legs with less pieces than the "shifting/sliding" ones. This is what I expect: The foot will be the landing pad plate used in the rock-raiders. (1 (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Possible ATST woes

I was thinking about an ATST for only 10 bucks. That would mean it would only have around 100 pieces. The only way I can think of doing that is (and this really irks me to think about it) is to use the shifting sliding legs like those on the Robo (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego

(...) No, I'm supposing that kids don't give a rat's ass about race. Kids play. It's we, the adults, who teach kids about race, or rather, skin color (given that we still are only one race, something we should perhaps also teach our kids...). (...) (...) (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  the never ending struggle

I geuss I have to thank dave for clarifying certain points from my previous posts. Specifically the issue of representational color in minifigs, and how a yellow lando would be about as good as a blue chewbacca or a green 3po. In defense of my (...) (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego

(...) Except that TLC did not model the figs in "natural" skin tones. They used bright yellow. Had they modeled the light skinned characters in tan then it would make sense to model the dark skinned characters in brown. (I was surprised and (...) (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego

"David Schilling" <davidNO@SPAMsunteleia.com> wrote in message news:Fz63HJ.G4v@lugnet.com... (...) there (...) Dunno. I sure hope that the recent trend in licencing we've seen with TLC won't detract from their original products. Lego would cheapen, (...) (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact