 Star Wars / 8624
Re: Possible ATST woes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 18:12:18 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jason Fabisch writes:
I was thinking about an ATST for only 10 bucks.  That would mean it would only
have around 100 pieces.  The only way I can think of doing that is (and this
really irks me to think about it) is to use the shifting sliding legs like
those on the Robo Raptor.  Scary, but I guessed the Falcon would use those • huge
saucer plates LONG before the first pics came out.  I was right about that and
now I fear the worst again.

Not necessarily... In fact, with the click-hinges, it's possible to make
working legs with less pieces than the "shifting/sliding" ones.  This is what I
expect:

The foot will be the landing pad plate used in the rock-raiders. (1 piece)
The leg will be a linkage of click hinges. (4 pieces)
Various assorted reinforcing & decorative elements. (5-10 pieces)

This gives you a pair of working ATST legs in 20-40 pieces, leaving 60+ pieces
to build the cabin & the minifigure.

Certainly workable, if extrordinarily spare.

--Karim