 Space / 7904
  New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

Hello, everyone! I just posted a few pictures of my new space carrier, still under construction. (URL) you can see, the only finished interiors are the bridge, galley, and torpedo room. More pictures will come as I continue to finish this monster. (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars) !!

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

Wow (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Wow, that thing is HUGE. I love the galley, very slick. Lots of neat details! How many arctic sets did you part out for the exterior windowwalls? (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

Hey Dan, That was fast! Here is another pic of Dan setting up his ship: (URL) thing has awsome engineering besides cool looks. Its super light, but it hardly flexes at all when you pick it up! The few interior rooms that are finished are really (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Thanks! Actually, the ship only needed 2 arctic base sets (bought on sale of course--wise man say don't pay full price for LEGO). Each set has 6 grey window-walls, so my ship has 12. Also, I needed 2 sets of the mobile arctic base, but used 6 (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

*thunk!* sound of jaw hitting floor. Dave Daniel Jassim <danieljassim@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GAqGwC.9nA@lugnet.com... (...) still (...) monster. (...) excellent (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) WEE HAW!!! I love it! I can see that you're getting on the artic wall kick like me! Well done, Dan! What do you think: Do you prefer the artic walls over bulk brick for this appication? The artic walls cut down on the weight, which lends will (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) I think the arctic walls were destined for space ship designs! They're perfect because they give you a nice sloped side, a rounded rectangular window, and "vent" grooves on the bottom. Yeah, they're light too so it cuts down on so much weight (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Very spiffy! (Especially that little round ship in the hangar, which is by definition Spiff-y.) Excellent use of the polar base grey wall units too--it looks like you've kept the structural integrity pretty good along the centre and kept the (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Wow, very impressive. I really love the basters/cannons at the ends of the large blue wings. I am kinda supprised that they don't bend the wings down. Makes a guy wish you could get those Artic walls in bulk from shop at home. Keep us posted (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

I think the "powder blue" effect is because we were shooting in sunlight with a fill-in flash. We probably should have tried a few without the flash. Daniel Jassim <danieljassim@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GAqtv7.8zn@lugnet.com... (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Wow! Seeing discussion on how light the ship is, I'm really interested in how to build big, light, sturdy ships. My stuff always comes out really heavy, but at the same time solid as a rock. Can you possibly bring this to the Michon's if you (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

Wow! Looks awesome Dan! I love the colour scheme (Classic Space), and your usually detail and weapons, and, well... EVERYTHING!!! ;-) Excellent job! (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

That is just plain awesome. I really like the fighter too. I personally do not like the "X-wing" style canopy (I prefere the "A-wing" style) but it looks really good on that fighter. -Mike Petrucelli (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Boy, did you guys ever miss a beat! The correct answer was: "Dan managed to get a hold of some overstock Maersk Light Blue parts from TLC just for this project..." and go from there. Sheesh, you'd think it wasn't nearly the end of March. You (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Yep, the Grand Admiral stopped by for a preliminary inspection. (...) When I first completed the main body of the ship (hangerbay, engines, etc) I picked it up, carried it to the next room to show my wife, and shook it back and forth fast (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Yeah, actually those blasters are kind of light for their size. They're just spread out with technic parts to create a bigger space. (...) You said it, brutha! Can you imagine getting like 30 of those for a monster ship?! Hmmm, say, does LEGO (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) I think it's a combination of parts used and type of ship. I think carriers lend themselves to be light for their size because their biggest main section is hollow, made mostly of castle walls, BURPS and baseplates. I bet if I were to build a (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Thank you very much! I tried to build a ship that had a mecha appeal to it--you know, that gritty, hardcore-ship-with-an-attitude look. I'd say it kind of fits it with Bryce McGlone's "Big Blue," like a support carrier in the mech fleet. (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Thanks! The fighter is based on Mark Sandlin's "Sprite." I studied Mark's pics and built a Sprite but all I had were A-Wing canopies, which are clear. It just didn't look right. So, I tried an alternate fighter so I could build at least 8 of (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Good stuff, Dan! I see you have the Grand Admiral visiting. :^) Hmm, we'll have to do something about that hair and uniform. That's old skool. I like the mini fighter too. Can't wait to see it in person next month! ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Word up, M-Dogg. That was a just a preliminary inspection. Uhh, yeah, it was dated back before the Grand Admiral got his new look. I just acquired my first red space guy in a trade at the meeting yesterday. Next I'll get the Alpha Team set (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Dan, I was looking at the galley again on your ship - I like the two woks! (I think they are woks - could be sinks) Anyways - it looks so much like the galley and messa hall on the show Star Stumble Voyager. Very cool... ~Trev Astro Lift Co. (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) look sweet on the roof of your car! :] Okay, weird question: would it float? KDJ ___...___ LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

Dan, Forget the carrier. It was just good to see you in person again!!! Okay the carrier ROCKS!!! Pure Danielization. The details are just everywhere. Pictures really don't do this justice. I thought about this baby all the way home from the LUG (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Thanks, dude! Well, I guess they are woks or some kind of stir-fry apparatus. And the sink is the white basin to the right (picture right that is). The faucet has a 1 X 1 white tile with buttons. It's hard to see in that picture (I'll get (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Warp speed ahead, Scotty! (...) Yeah, maybe with a mess load of caulk to seal up the hangerbay! Actually, that would be interesting if it had a submarine mode...hmmm. Dan (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Same here, man. Yeah, too bad I showed up late (again). We didn't really get to visit like we usually do. Hey, maybe next week? (...) Thanks, man. Yeah, it's so much more impacting to see people's creations in person. To me, your new mech is (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Another excellnet creation from the Jassim Spaceworks. :) The colors are excellent. It appears that you had a visit from the Grand Admiral - though he seems like he needs a hair cut.... ;) The recovery bays seem to be a shade close to the (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Thanks dude! (...) Well, that picture was, uhhh, during a preliminary inspection, yeah, before the Grand Admiral got the new 'do and uniform. He'll be performing a final inspection once the ship is completed. (...) Yeah, actually they pivot (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Just curious. I think it's the only practical way to do routine planetary set-downs..., well, on this planet at least :] But the hangar deck's gotta stay above water so the pilots can do skip-launches ;] KDJ ___...___ LUGNETer #203, Windsor, (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Hehe. (...) Yeah, the Brickcademy for ABS Pilots turns out some pretty good classes. :) (...) Coitainly! Joel J (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) You are the man. No one matches your mastery of shape, color, details, and novel construction. Was your microfig carrier a study for this monster? They look a lot alike. Can't wait to see more! - Paul (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

Well, with the recent court martial of the Grand Admiral, looks like plans for his final inspection will be scrapped. However, the Gibraltar HAS a significant accumulation of fleebnork larvae on the vent grids (certainly unheard of in spacedock). (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Wow, thank you, man! (...) Yes, I wanted to see if I could pull it off in minifig scale. I combined many elements from my first carrier (the baseplates, BURPS, castle walls) but tried to match the same feel of the microfig carrier. The (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Hmm...I think there'sa judge that's in need of work.. something about abusing the powers entrusted to him to the detriment of the laws he was sworn to uphold. Oh. Wait. Those laws haven't been written, yet, so I guess he's not a judge, if he (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

That's awesome Dan, you definitly have the touch on your carriers. They keep sneaking up on me. The exterior detailing is absoulutely incredible. Well done once again. I love the burp usage btw. (i'm envious too :) Jeb (23 years ago, 29-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: New Carrier - Starship Gibraltar

(...) Thanks! Yep, the main gimmick with these big ships of mine is creating space (or mass) without using tons of pieces (especially grey). The use of BURPS, castle walls, and baseplates keeps the overall weight of the ship down. As I said, I think (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)