 Space / 7222
    Success Ratio —Paul Hartzog
   ok here's a question for all builders but particularly space i usually start 3 or 4 MOCs and abandon them once i realize they are going nowhere, BEFORE i get one that is really working which i then finish I am wondering, what's the typical success (...) (23 years ago, 24-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Success Ratio —Scott Edward Sanburn
     (Dropped general, seemed to be building / space question more than anything else!) Paul & All, (...) I certainly don't. I have about 3 or 4 ones that I am not fond of, simply because the shape isn't right, not enough pieces, etc. I don''t think (...) (23 years ago, 24-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

         Re: Success Ratio —Josh Baakko
     (...) I'd say i have a 75% turn out ratio. Josh (...) (23 years ago, 24-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

        RE: Success Ratio —Bram Lambrecht
     (...) Well, it takes me a while to come up with a complete MOC, and I usually try lots of things along the way. But I don't usually give up once I've got a substantial part complete. So I'd say my "success rate" is pretty high, probably around 80%. (...) (23 years ago, 24-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

         Re: Success Ratio —James Powell
      (...) I tend to versionize my stuff. Houses and buildings tend to only go through one major revision before the demolition man comes along. Larger buildings often have several concepts (or "studies") built before I undertake the building. The train (...) (23 years ago, 24-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

         Re: Success Ratio —Ross Crawford
     (...) I'm similar, but that may be a result of being a mostly technic builder. Generally, when I get an idea I follow it through to a conclusion no matter what. The conclusion may not be totally "finished" but I can't remember ever "giving up" on a (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Success Ratio —Mark Sandlin
     (...) I dunno, I think I probably scrap one out of 7, guesstimating. It helps to start from a drawing or idea that you have sketched, so you don't have to waste time deciding on a shape. ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 25-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

         Re: Success Ratio —John J. Ladasky, Jr.
     (...) As an AFOL trying to emerge from his Dark Ages, and being both motivated AND hindered by my four year-old son (because of him, I have the excuse to enjoy a second childhood -- but have you ever tried to clean up after a kid has been through (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Success Ratio —Brad Hamilton
     I rarely throw something completely out. Usually, I'll start to throw together a facade or something with a few bricks and windows on the floor. This is the point where I may go through several designs and throw stuff out. At this point, only about (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Success Ratio —Fredrik Glöckner
     (...) I normally enjoy trying out various different ideas, and not so much finishing off models. Hence, I mostly build only parts of models, and only rarely finish anything off. Counting a success as a finished model, I'd say I have a success of 20% (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Success Ratio —Paul Hanson
     (...) Like a lot of other people, I build parts of models to try different building techniques & to figure out how many parts they'll take. Lots of models don't make it past this point :-( If a model does get through this stage, I usally build (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

        Re: Success Ratio —Mike Petrucelli
     I usually let large projects fester in my brain for a few weeks (or months) prior to building. I alter the design mentally based on available parts, structural integrity, functionality, and form. This basically results in zero scrapping of large (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Success Ratio —Josh Baakko
     (oh, Shift+Control+End, select all text!) Just adding another idea. My best freind hates it when I build things because I start the planning in my head. When I started the bar, in my bar (woh...) he couldn't figure out what I was doing, until it was (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Success Ratio —Richard W. Schamus
     (...) Like Josh, I get most of MOC "done" in my own head before I even start building it. This is not to say that while I'm building, flashes of insight and inspiration don't come to me. Rich -- Have Fun! C-Ya! Legoman34 ***** Legoman34 (Richard W. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Success Ratio —John D. Forinash
     (...) I've yet to have a MOC turn out wonderful. :) I get one worth taking a few pictures of once in a while. Even after multiple retrofits, I don't think I've ever wound up with "wonderful." I find that I rarely scrap an entire model-- I wind up, (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Success Ratio —Jeff Stembel
     (...) You're certain;y not the only one to scrap models. I probably have one of the highest turnover rates, with about one model in twenty actually getting completed. Even then they aren't always fully finished. Most of the time I am stuck with (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Success Ratio —Joel Jacobsen
     (...) Well... going from past experience, I used to scrap quite a few MOC's before I finished them. Most of the time they were Castle creations and that only because I never took the time to figure out what I liked for layout. Usually, for space (...) (23 years ago, 27-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Success Ratio —John Robert-Blaze Kanehl
     (...) I consider myself a buider and tinkerer... I tend to do futuristic or sci-fi (as opposed to space...it has been said my creations are "not spacey" enough) (...) I tend to work multiple MOCs in multiple themes on a long-term rotating basis...I (...) (23 years ago, 27-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Success Ratio —James Simpson
   (...) When I take my time in planning a model my success rate is usually just about 100%; when I just have a go at the pile, my success rate is probably about 10%. james (23 years ago, 27-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Creative Processes (was Re: Success Ratio) —Paul Hartzog
   Interesting, there seems to be 2 diff kinds of builders out there: 1) those who plan and then execute 2) those who sit and creatively flow i tend to do a little of both, like this: i often sit and tinker, creatively experimenting w/ many ideas, not (...) (23 years ago, 1-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Creative Processes (was Re: Success Ratio) —Mark Sandlin
     (...) I tend to sketch or start from a cool picture I find somewhere, but beyond that, I build pretty free-form and just shoot for making the model look like the picture in the end. ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head Mark's LEGO® Creations (URL) (23 years ago, 1-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Creative Processes (was Re: Success Ratio) —Joel Kuester
     (...) Actually, I find that the size of the creation dictates to correct amount of forethought. The larger you build, the more you have to plan it out to ensure success. Most of my smaller things are just freebuilding on the spot. But for things (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Creative Processes (was Re: Success Ratio) —Matt Brooks
     (...) I usually get an "IDEA!" (Always complete with the exclamation point) and then start to work around it. This idea can be totally random, or about a specific piece I want to use in a specific way (just to see if I can) and then moves on from (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)

        Re: Creative Processes (was Re: Success Ratio) —A. Mark Wilburn
   (...) ...snip. (...) That explains a lot! Yeah, I've never sat down and planned anything I did (although, maybe building Transformers while constantly comparing them to the actual toy in front of me counts as preparation? I mean, it's even better (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general)