 Space / 37181
Re: MOC: Shuriken
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:46:23 GMT

In lugnet.space, Peter Roberts wrote:
   Man alive... Those things are so cool! The yellow colour scheme is the best IMHO. Of course, it’d be kinda easy to spot. On the other hand, by the time these come into production, spotting ships of any colour or design will be really easy anyway, so camouflage will be kinda obsolete. There must be something about the ‘things sticking out all over the place for no apparent reason, but looking cool all the same’ look. If only I had more curved bricks... Oh yeah, I almost forgot... The not so good... I guess I forgot it because there’s hardly any. I don’t see the point in reviewing if you don’t give an overall picture though... So here goes...

I still don’t know what those things at the back are for... Street cred I guess... Don’t take them away though (they look really kinda cool). The wheels on the back of that red one just look... boring IMHO. They’re a bit of a letdown methinks (But I didn’t really like the colour scheme itself, the contrast is a bit harsh IMHO). I don’t like that orange colour scheme. It looks a bit tame. I can’t imagine it blasting out advanced weaponry... No.

As for weaponry... There definitely needs to be some sort of a gun in the middle. Maybe a swively one where the slope brick is above the canopy... As you can see here:

There needs to be total destruction everywhere in front of it, it just doesn’t seem to have a wide enough range at the moment.

Oh yeah, sorry I left the worst to last. I really do like this model... I can’t stress just how cool it is. I can’t get my head round the techniques you used... It’s amazing. You use Lego in a really clever way.

Peter

Thanks for the compliments, Peter, I’m glad you liked these MOCs. You’re suggesting a gun mounted just above the cockpit? I may try that, but I wouldn’t want the gun to be in line with the exit vector of the dorsal missile launcher, so it would have to be fairly small.

The purpose for the “things at the back”--you’re right, just street cred, as far as I know. It’s the influence of Anime on my building style. Maybe they house critical equipment like stealth ECM full spectrum signature generators, sensor and comm equipment, or maybe they comprise a “graviton flux containment field generator array”.

Glad you liked the yellow, but I have to agree with you on the red/black one. That scheme was parts-motivated, because I had the X-wing engines in red, and the pod racer fins in black. Unfortunately, I lacked cool engine parts in black or red.