 Space / 3683
Re: Giant space ship links site idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 23:13:26 GMT

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message
news:G1vHv8.1rn@lugnet.com...
"Matthew" <moulton@hscis.net> wrote in message
news:39da44c7.2469108@news.lugnet.com...
What if you classified them differently.  Say starships, capital
ships, etc.  I think of a capital ship as a sort of mobile space base,
which may carry a heavy payload, onboard fighters of some kind,
sustainable crew, etc.  I mean think of say an air craft carrier, that
is basically a capital ship.  It houses smaller fighters, people can
live on it, and it carries a heavy payload.  Okay so then you have
starships which I would classify as being exploring type ships.  Again
being able to sustain a crew (any size), equiped with a variety of
exploring devices such as shuttle craft, storage units, excavation
equipment, science/research facility, etc.

Good idea.

Another large type of ship
would be like the Nostromo in Alien, basically just a REALLY large
cargo ship.  Again it should be able to sustain a crew, have storage
areas, mining/excavation equipment, mining ships (think rock raiders),
etc.  I mean the Nostromo was like HUGE and yet it's crew was like
what, 7?  I think that the ship should be big enough to sustain a crew
and itself without having to dock frequently for refueling, supplies,
etc.  What would be some other classes of large ships?  Perhaps a sort
of town/civilian ship?

Hmm....

I was looking at the Jackill's Starfleet Reference Manual series (3
volumes), which I borrowed from Mike Perri, to get some ideas of larger • ship
classifications and purposes for my use in developing the Zacktron
storyline.  I jotted down a word list of ships for my own use, here it is:

Warships:
Drednought
Cruiser
Tactical Cruiser
Destroyer
Frigate
Scout
Carrier (Fighter/Gunboat)
Transport (Troop, Equip, Cargo)
(Light/Heavy) Gunboat
Corvette
Dropship
Strike Cruiser
Penetration Cruiser

Support Ships:
Freighter
Supply Tender
Tanker
Medical Ship
Starliner

Commercial Vessels:
Starliner
Transport
Interplanetary Shuttle
Coroprate Personnell Transport
Dropship
Surface-to-Station Shuttle

----

So anyways...classifications can be made there.  If you actually have a
manual in front of you - those words (especially in the Warships category)
have loose size comparisons attached to them.  This also extends to Naval
history.  Something could be linked in with ship volume, firepower, armor,
support vehicles (such as contained in the shuttlebay, etc) - and a ship
category such as the ones listed above.

This might be a bit complex for what you want to do with a capship links
site - but at least I'm putting this out there for anyone developing a • story
like I am to use for their own stuff.  Let me know your thougts (this • might
spin off into another discussion alltogether).

    Ive certainly been thinking about further classifications along these
lines. For right now I'm going to concentrate on basic sub groups like
ships, stations (ground and space), ground vehicles and maybe a subcatagory
for sci fi mocs like Star wars, Aliens, ..whatever.

    Jon
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne