 Space / 3669
Re: Giant space ship links site idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 19:11:31 GMT

Matthew at moulton@hscis.net wrote:

I disagree, I think it has more to do with overall size and capacity
than it does stud length.  The Behemoth on my site is 90 studs long,
which doesn't sound too impressive until you note that it's also
around 60 studs wide and around 18 studs high.

Ok, you have a point there.

I think that the ship
should have to have an overall volume of a certain amount.  For
instance the Behemoth would have an average volume of 97,200 bricks.
So you could have two classes of large ships, those that are 50,000 to
100,000 brick volume and then those that are 100,000 or higher.  So
basically if you wanted to find the average volume of your ship you
would take the heigth, width, and lenght, and then multiply them
together.

Hmm, so my Mithrandir would be approx. 74,480 if you don't count the engine
pods on the sides of the main hull. The problem is that the ship has many
different widths all along its length. If I include the engine pods, the
number goes up over 200k, which is obviously inaccurate. I suppose we'll
just have to shoot for a "relative" volume that excludes protrusions and
wing-like bits, like what you've mentioned below.

Of course the only bad thing is that I could put a rather
large antena on the top of my ship and suddenly it's volume would be
huge.  So I think you'd have to exclude anteni, radar, extraneous
weapons, etc.

Yep. Even my 74k figure is off, because of the skinny portions of the ship
mixed with the command tower in the middle. I'd guesstimate the actual
number would be somewhere around 45-50k. I suppose one could measure out
different portions of the ship, calculate them, and then add them together.

On the other hand it could just be a judgement call.  I
mean if it looks big then it's gotta be big right?  Well, those are
just some of my thoughts.

Yeah, I guess if it gives sort of a "massive" feeling, then it's a capital
ship. I suppose our points were the same... I was just trying to say that
something long n' skinny doesn't necessarily qualify as a cap-ship, but
short n' massive certainly can.

~Mark
--
Mark's Lego Creations