 Space / 3682
Re: Giant space ship links site idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 23:00:27 GMT

"Mark Sandlin" <sandlin@nwlink.com> wrote in message
news:B5FF3DBC.4D23%sandlin@nwlink.com...

60 studs? That's kind of short, IMO. For instance, of the ships on my
website, the Mithrandir is the only one I'd consider to be a "capital" • ship,
and a small one at that. Some of my other ships are more than 60 studs • long,
and certainly not capital ships:

(Most of these numbers are approximated)

Mithrandir: 152 studs

Spaceplane: 99 studs

Lightnin' Jack: ~90 studs

Osprey: ~75 studs

Angel: ~75 studs

Of course, the Spaceplane is long mainly because of the length of the
forward fuselage, and the Angel is sort of long n' skinny too. The Osprey • is
fairly wide, to accomodate the APC, however.

I'd say 100 studs minimum, unless you're talking about microfig, and then
it's sort of up in the air (or in space? ;^) )

    Yes this is probably going to be the trickiest area of this site. I'm
going to have to think about this some more and see what everyone else has
to say. But I think in the end it'll probably work out and I will have a
list of fonly the truely big.

I understand that a lot of people don't have the brick resources to make
spaceships longer than 60 studs, but that's what microfig scale is all
about.

Some things I would like some feed back on:

-Do you think the main list should also have small thumbnails next to • the
links within the site?

Yes. Wading through text links is very annoying. If the thumbs are sized
reasonably, it shouldn't be much of a problem for people who have slow
connections.

    Cool. I always think thumbnails, even if there small can pull people in
better than a text description.

-If this gets going I'd like to make a specific section for
nano/microfig large ships. Any ship that is designed as a capital size. • What
do you think?

I think that would be good. The casual observer would likely be confused • by
the term "microfig" and they'd wonder what all these teeny globs of bricks
are doing next to the big spaceships. ( The casual observer probably
wouldn't realize at first that they were supposed to be viewing them as
"large" spaceships)

    I can put a little more description of what constitutes a micro/nano
scale creation.

-Also, later I would love to make a section for large space land
vehicles. Like anything bigger than the 6989 Mega Core Magnetizer. Maybe
this section could just be for non flying vehicles. I'd love to see some
large aquazone subs in here too.

-Another section idea would be large bases.

Would a Space Donut Shop fit into this category? It's 2.5 baseplates long.
Built on an asteroid.  ;^)

    Certainly. I love the asteroid part of that.

-I might even consider an area with links to massive mecha.

-Lastly I'm still excited about the idea of space world (or whatever its
called) and would love to make this site compatible with that idea. for
instance the site could have a shipyard/station/diner theme with stats • of
all the ships that have docked there.

Space World is sort of bogged down in the "where the heck are we gonna get
webspace" part of the planning. Personally, I despise free hosting sites
because of all the advertising/popups/slowness.

Well unfortunatly this is gonna be on a (shudder) geocities account for now.
Later on down the road if fthis gets big I will try to move it.

Anyway I'm sure there is more I can't think of now.
Please tell me what you think!!

Maybe you could call it Jon's BIG BIG BIG Shipyards?

:^D

Heh.

~Mark
--