 Space / 3672
Re: Giant space ship links site idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 20:38:44 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Rideout writes:
In lugnet.space, Wayne R. Hussey writes:
In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
Matthew at moulton@hscis.net wrote:

<cut>
I agree with the volume idea for definition of a Capital Ship - with one • other
addition. IMHO a Capital Ship must have a crew size greater than a fighter,
scout or simple transport. I suggest that the crew compliment has to be at
least 20. This requires that the ship designer/builder takes into account the
need for more than the minimum systems (engineering, bridge, weapons (for
military)). Added systems would then include environment, off-duty • necessities
(staterooms, galleys, etc.) and so on. Further, to define a Capital Ship, the
crew needs to operate in shifts - due to its extended voyage lengths - which
enhances the need for crew size and environmental systems. This may help
separate the large boats from the real ships.

I think a crew of 20 is slightly large if it's a requirement. Taking a look at
Chris Giddens' U.S.S. Crusader, it only has a crew of 10, but the size would
make it a Capital Ship IMO (http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=3660). What about
something like a crew of 10 or more as part of the "general guidelines"?

[snip]

Another consideration is the level of technology onboard the ship.  My U.S.S.
Crusader is in a not so far off future where life support and things have to
be of enormous size to support a crew.  So therefor my crew on a large ship is
10. (It will support more passengers, soldiers, etc.)  A smaller craft with
nano-technology could support more.

I think a capital ship is just a big ol ship, not used as a fighter and not  a
freighter (well, it could be).  It's designed for extended voyages, has larger
than fighter/bomber attack capabilities (for warships) and more than a pilot
and/or navigator.

Basically if it's big... lets link it!!

-Mark