 Space / 27742
Re: Wide Moonbase Corridors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 06:32:27 GMT

Even though I have not bult a module yet (I do have one in progress) I thought
I'd throw down some smack.

When I first heard about the moonbase project and examined the bulding
regulations, I was (and still am) impressed by the simplicity and efficiency.
It seemed like a project that almost anyone regardless of collection size or
lego-budget could participate in.  Also, the structure allowed for just about
maximum creativity except for the corridors that didn't bog down the process by
telling you what you couldn't do.  Without rambling on here are my thoughts.  I
realize I'm responding to a couple of threads here, but darn.

Keep it simple, the rules (I know they are still in the brainstorming process),
are getting too convaluted.  Raise the corridor height if you want to, thats
relatively easy to fix for pre-existing modules.  As for widening it, I would
vote no.  Do we really need vehicles running around inside?  You can't see them
in most cases, and they would probably look better on the outside.  As for
minifigs being able to stand shoulder to shoulder, thats nice, but not really
necessary.  This isn't the clean featurless interiors of the old Star Trek with
hallways so large you could drive a sub-compact car inside.  This is a jumbled
together hodge-podge of the galaxies finest.  Two-abreast just means more
corridor to defend when the inevitable civil war breaks out!

As for the exterior monorail... a big yes!  Its key to the history of lego-space
and just looks cool.  As for the roads... only if its easy and user friendly.
Maybe just use the markers that somebody suggested.  Like I said, the clusters
I've seen looked like third-world space-ghettos (although very cool third-world
space ghettos), whith no room for a ground base transit system.  Keep it off
road, baby!

I guess I'll wait until the dust clears to finish my module.
Thats it... thats all I've got to say.
-Keith