 Space / 26781
Re: Minifig Scales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 03:51:23 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.space, James Wilson wrote:
   I’ve always wondered about this (okay, not “always,” only since Lucas established the timeline). How in the heck was the Empire able to ramp up production facilities to build such huge vessels, in the span of less than 50 years or so? In AotC we’ve got what looks like the precursors to Star Destroyers; Anakin’s kids are mid-30’s in RotJ, and we’ve got Super Star Destroyers.

It’s actually only 22 years, according to the rolling timeline in the front of every NJO book. Still, that’s a lot of time when you have an entire galaxy of resources to draw from. If you think about it, Earth might be able to build one Star Destroyers in the span of 22 years. Now, if you have 100 Earth-equivalent planets at your disposal... Also consider the fact that the 2nd Death Star was nearly completed a mere four years after the first one was destroyed, and it positively dwarfed the Executor, which is gigantic compared to the ISDs.

Well according to Shadows of the Empire, the second Death Star was 60 percent completed in the span of about 6 months, in secret. The sheer size of the industrial capacity of the Empire is simply huge in order to do that in secret, meaning know one really notices the reasources missing. That would be the equivalent of Federation building about 2200 Galaxy Class starships every second in secret for 6 months straight.

For a full description of the industrial capacity of the Empire compared to the Federation see here.

   Oh, yeah, and in that Star Trek TNJ episode where a couple of crew members got “out of phase” with their universe, how could they still stand on the decks of the ship, when they could pass through other objects?

I believe the official stance is that while they aren’t able to directly interact with regular matter, physics still applied to them. Therefore, the artificial gravity would hold them to the deck plates regardless of phase. Oh, and a certain quantity of air got zapped with them or somesuch.

You guys might want to read here right after Romulan Cloaking Device, about the Federation phase cloak and the implications of the incident of which you are discussing on it.

   (Hey, at least in DS9 they dealt with that issue openly when they shrank the Runabout and crew). My stance on it is it’s a fun episode to watch as long as you remember to turn off key portions of your brain first. After watching all of the Season 1 commentaries, I’ve actually come to the conclusion that Futurama episodes generally have more thought put into them than Star Trek episodes.

Well that is the problem with generic soap opera writers working on sci-fi series. While I enjoy watching Star Trek as much as I do Star Wars, Star Trek is no more based on real science than Star Wars is, regardless of what some of the die hard Trek fans claim. It all fiction and in good fun, or at least its supposed to be.

-Mike Petrucelli