 Space / 23787
Re: taking good photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 19:00:56 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Laswell writes:
    I've found that with properly arranged directional lighting, I can get
very rich, colorful photos with excellent overall illumination.  Outdoors
gets tricky because sunny days will create stark shadows while overcast days
will cause lots of indirect bounce lighting.

True, it's hard to get a perfect day, especially if you don't have time to
take pictures while it's light out.  It's also more difficult to set up a
backdrop or the perfect view angle.

I usually take my photos indoors too, but then again my camera has manually
adjustable shutter speed, aperture, white balance, and focus, so I can take
good pictures without much light, as long as I use a tripod.  For example,
these pictures were taken with one or two 60 watt incandescent bulbs, both
at least 3 feet from the subject:
http://lego.bldesign.org/models/?n=89

Photoshop 7's "Auto Color" command does a great job of white balancing and
brightening the image further if the photo isn't quite perfect.

$20 - AC adapter, which is a must-have for studio use, since there's no
point in burning through batteries if the camera doesn't move

My camera uses rechargeable AA batteries, so switching in a fresh set of
batteries is no big deal.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu