 Space / 23797
Re: taking good photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 02:50:52 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bram Lambrecht writes:
True, it's hard to get a perfect day, especially if you don't have time to
take pictures while it's light out.  It's also more difficult to set up a
backdrop or the perfect view angle.

     Hi.  I live in western Michigan.  I also run a popular website.  I
can't afford to wait six months for a perfect day.  I think I'll keep
shooting indoors... ;P

I usually take my photos indoors too, but then again my camera has manually
adjustable shutter speed, aperture, white balance, and focus, so I can take
good pictures without much light, as long as I use a tripod.

     I've got manually adjustable shutter speed (I think that's what it is,
since it makes the photos either darker or lighter, depending on the
setting), selectable white balance (factory settings based on the type of
lighting used), and as long as I've got enough light when I focus, I can
turn most of the light off and still get a clear image.  I don't have any
aperture settings, and I don't have manual focus, but I'm happy enough with
what I've got.

For example, these pictures were taken with one or two 60 watt incandescent >bulbs, both at least 3 feet from the subject:

     Most of mine are taken with three 50w bulbs, ranging from 2-3 feet away
from the subject.  My advantage there is that I studied theatrical lighting
design in college, so once I figured out that I needed to work without a
flash, I knew exactly what I needed to set up for the best results.

Photoshop 7's "Auto Color" command does a great job of white balancing and
brightening the image further if the photo isn't quite perfect.

     And how much did that cost?  Probably about as much as my camera.  I
spend too much on the bricks to buy Photoshop.

My camera uses rechargeable AA batteries, so switching in a fresh set of
batteries is no big deal.

     So does mine, but it uses four of them, and I hate having to change
them any more than necessary.  For one thing, I sometimes do very long
photoshoots (at least once for a full 8 hours), especially if I'm not
getting exactly the right shots.  My camera has a tweak that you can perform
when turning it on so it doesn't automatically shut off after a few minutes
of disuse, and I _really_ hate to lose my current settings when doing a long
shoot.  Also, I quite regularly forget to turn it off, and I don't like
having to reset the time and date (it's also bad for the batteries to drain
them dry).  The AC power cord has probably saved me three times as much
money in burned out rechargable batteries by now.