 Space / 23842
Re: taking good photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 03:15:32 GMT

In lugnet.space, Brian H. Nielsen writes:
  I think you are confusing color depth with image area resolution.  If the
CCD chip has an area of X-by-Y pixels and you are at maximum optical zoom,
then any form of digital zoom requires interpolating between adjacent real
pixels.  The color depth of those real pixels does not help the
interpolation process for the spatial data that lies between those real >pixels.

     I didn't think that sounded right, but I couldn't figure out why.  This
sounds an awful lot like how LCD laptop screens work, where they look fine
if you set the screen size according to the actual physical pixelation of
the screen, but if you go bigger or smaller it gets all wonky as it tries to
average the colors across the pixels.