 Space / 23753
Re: taking good photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 02:31:58 GMT

In lugnet.space, John R. Beck writes:
I'm experiencing mounting frustration with uploading quality images of my
lego creation.  I've got a kodak digital camera that takes great photos.

     What's the megapixel rating, optical zoom rating (digital zoom is an
oxymoron, and should never be used), total pixel-by-pixel size of the images
it produces?  Also, what's the listed focal range (you might need to check
the manual for that one)?

It looks great when I download it from the camera into the software viewer.
But when uploaded to brickshelf it's huge and fuzzy.

     Bad images often look better when they're seen in a smaller size.  My
camera produces 1600x1200 pixel images that have a slight tinge of fuzziness
to them when doing close shots.  I crop them, and then reduce the image size
to get them down between 400-600 pixels on the longest side, after which I
use an image-sharpening function to make the detail pop a bit more.
Technically it's bad photography, but you _can_ clear up a certain amount of
blur by reducing total image size (image, not file) and by sharpening the
image (but not too much or you'll cause ugly pixelation).

Someone in this newsgroup once told me to modify the picture size on my >camera.  But I only have such settings as "best, better, good".  The "best" >ones were huge and fuzzy.  When I switched to "good" hoping to reduce the >size of the jpg it just turned out huge and fuzzier...any ideas?

     If you're going to continue using that camera, you'll probably need to
start editing the images after you produce them, or you'll have to see if
changing the way you photograph will improve your photo quality.  I've
managed to track down your Brickshelf account (not easy, but I did it), and
I downloaded this image:

     I reduced the image size to 1/16th the total original pixel area, which
did wonders for the image quality:

http://www.collectinghq.com/im/0002922.jpg

     I then used the sharpen function on it, which made a minute
improvement, but not nearly as much as reducing it:

http://www.collectinghq.com/tn/0002922.jpg

     In other words, your camera can be worked with, but you'll need some
sort of image-editor that can both read _and_ write JPG files, and alter
image size.  I happen to use the LEGOcam software, since it happens to be
the only editor that I already have that can resize by total pixels instead
of percentages, and that allows me to move a cropping window without moving
the contents of that window.  The color correction feature is almost
useless, and the bells and whistles are pretty scarce, but it does the job.
If nothing else is available, and you use a PC with some sort of Windows OS,
you should have MS Paint on it.  The default version only writes BMPs, which
are horrible for webuse, but the only thing it needs to write JPGs is a JPG
filter, which can be found for free on the web if you look a bit.  IIRC,
adding it to the Paint program might require editing your registry a bit,
though.