 Space / 23783
Re: taking good photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 16:21:33 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bram Lambrecht writes:
You should also make sure you have a lot of light...and try
not to use the flash...it creates annoying glare on shiny
bricks.  If you can, take your pictures outdoors, but in the
shade.  Even if it doesn't look brighter to you outdoors,
there is almost always more light than indoors, so you will
get a better picture.  If you must take the picture indoors,
use a tripod (which you can get for as little as $10) to
reduce camera shake.

     I've found that with properly arranged directional lighting, I can get
very rich, colorful photos with excellent overall illumination.  Outdoors
gets tricky because sunny days will create stark shadows while overcast days
will cause lots of indirect bounce lighting.  Indoor photography allows for
much greater environmental control (especially if you can do it in a room
with no natural light coming through windows), as long as you are willing to
invest in the necessary equipment.  I think I spent about $100 total to turn
my little-used sofa into a long-term temporary (by that I mean that I _can_
tear it down when people are visiting) photo studio.  Here are the things
that I bought, and what I think I paid for them:

$20 - 1 full-size tripod (the elevation lockdown broke, so my parents bought
me a better tripod for Christmas)

$30 - 2 pivoting can-lights (I supplemented them with an unused flexi-neck
study lamp, a pair of milk-crates, and the floor attachment from my vacuum
cleaner, with the can-lights sitting on the milk-crates and the study lamp
clipped to the top of the vacuum tube stood upright)

$18 - 3 special light bulbs (GE makes them, they're reflector mini-floods,
and they've got a very dense, fibrous diffusion coating on the light
emission surface that does a great job of reducing brick-glare.  I don't
know the specifics on them, but if anyone is interested I can check when I'm
at home)

$20 - AC adapter, which is a must-have for studio use, since there's no
point in burning through batteries if the camera doesn't move

$8 - 6 foot USB extension cable (allows me to plug my camera into my desktop
computer without having to pop it off the tripod)