 Space / 23843
Re: Heavy-duty turntables.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 03:17:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jordan D. Greer writes:
Due to the size of the weapons I'm employing on my rather huge (six-foot)
capital ship, I find myself needing a turntable of much greater capacity
than the ones produced by Lego. The weapons I am using are more than twenty
studs long, six bricks high, and four studs wide. Each of these weapons
probably weigh more than seven ounces. Tonight I will experiment with gears
and such, but I was wondering if any of you could help with this problem.
Since the weapons will be emplaced in turrets of two, the turntable must be
able to support, say, nearly a pound of weight..

Sorry for the late reply, and this may not solve your problem, but I just
wanted to say how cool this part is:

Technic Brick 2 x 2 x 2 with Hole and Click Rotation Socket
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/41533

Just use a bit of SNOT to orient it how you want, and it'll hold quite a
heavy turret in place as long as it's reasonably-well balanced. Your turrets
sound like they might be a bit too heavy, but it's still worth a go.

One catch is they don't appear in that many sets, but the sets they do
appear in aren't completely bad for a Space builder to buy... (personally I
love 7153 for parts). You might catch AT sub stuff on discount, too.

Cheers,
Paul