 Space / 23786
Re: Asteroid Explorer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 18:16:11 GMT

In lugnet.space, Zak Anderson writes:
unlike most of my other ships this one is designed purely for space so
streamlining isnt a propblem for me.  i had to make the sides square to give
it enough internal space though.

Despite the color mixes, I do like your ship concepts, Zak (and if anything
the color mixes make for an interesting style.  Perhaps your faction builds
ships of whatever space-stuff they can find?)

But this conversation brings in another point.  I have been wondering why it
seems so important to us that ships be streamlined or have rounded corners.
Sure it looks nice from an artistic POV, but if a vessel is designed to
traverse space it really should not matter what shape it is (unless it is
also intended to be used as a lander on atmospheric planets).  I think it
might also be influenced by the culture of the ship-builders.  If the
builders have enough money, they might make the extra effort to make their
ship look nice.  But generally, IRL, spaceships are expensive and function
is more important than form.  So, I would think that boxy, squarish, or even
downright ugly spaceships might be commonplace in a Sci Fi universe.

What are your thoughts?

-The Galactic Mediator