 Space / 1958
Re: More previews from BCS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 03:10:47 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Davidson writes:
My own current capital ship (the "Nautilus",
www.theforce.net/tinman/nautilus) is about three feet long and at least a
foot wide.  About half my construction time so far, though, has spent
building a sturdy base of interlocking technic beams and plates.  With the
heavy bridge and one-and-a-half decks built so far, it is still able to
support the weight easily.  I imagine that this must be four times as hard
to do with a ship twice the length, though.

actually, the main reason I had to make it modular is because of the
center "neck" section.  With two huge bulky ends attached to it, I'm sure it
would break if I tried to lift it.  This is the reason my next ship will be
more solid.  The Elegance was designed to be more of a passenger cruise ship
that would take civilians from earth to the outer planets and back.  The
modular doors on the neck were added as a way to allow different companies to
dock goods and services modules to the ship while it travels.  Or perhaps a
science crew could buy space on the ship and attach their own little lab to
work in, and then detach it when they reach the area they want to study, etc...
The next ship I make is going to be a military ship, so it will have a much
less "sleek, commercial" look.

The Nautilus is designed with 3.5 levels and a foreward detachable
two-story-high bridge.  Every deck is composed simply of 4 to 6 modular
pieces that slide into the frame of the ship...It is yet to be seen how that
will affect the structure's strength.

I remember seeing your page when you posted it, particularily because it was
the one that convinced me it would be fun to create a fake company webpage for
my MOCs.  How long before we can see the ship?  After hearing about the
construction style, I am curious to see it.

cheers!
Joel K