 Space / 1953
Re: More previews from BCS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:39:24 GMT

Paul Davidson, aka Tinman
www.theforce.net |  Your Daily Dose of Star Wars
www.filmforce.net |  Your Daily Dose of Film News

The different sections of the ship are very sturdy.  I have had no • problems
with cave-ins or anything (without the removable floors insalled, the ship • is
essentially hollow) but there is no way I could lift it all as one peice.
I have no way to weigh it right now, but I am confident it would be at • least
60 or 70 pounds with all the inner walls installed.
It is well over 7 feet long so I made it modular, so that it comes apart • in 3
main sections.

My own current capital ship (the "Nautilus",
www.theforce.net/tinman/nautilus) is about three feet long and at least a
foot wide.  About half my construction time so far, though, has spent
building a sturdy base of interlocking technic beams and plates.  With the
heavy bridge and one-and-a-half decks built so far, it is still able to
support the weight easily.  I imagine that this must be four times as hard
to do with a ship twice the length, though.

The front section splits apart with hinges so that the bay can be accessed • (I
will eventually have pictures of this) and the white half-cylinders on the
sides of the crew section also pop off to access the rear of the ship.
The white section on top of the ship also lifts off and the second story
seperates so both levels are accessable.  The black roof of the control • room
also lifts off.

The Nautilus is designed with 3.5 levels and a foreward detachable
two-story-high bridge.  Every deck is composed simply of 4 to 6 modular
pieces that slide into the frame of the ship...It is yet to be seen how that
will affect the structure's strength.

I wish I could say otherwise, but this ship rates a solid zero on the • Whoosh-
Factor scale.  (Unless you run past it really quickly)

I know this is going to sound nuts, but the next capital ship I am • building
will be quite a bit bulkier and probably longer.  I only used 3/4th of my • blue
and black bricks for this project.  My next ship will incorporate more • color,
too.  But that is still months away from completion, so I will shut up • about
it  :)

Can't wait... :)