 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2396
Re: Proposals, Bug Fixes, etc and tracking them with SourceForge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:25:35 GMT

"Stephen M Moraco" <stephen_moraco@agilent.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Mark Falco writes:
I read over the proposed release changes for 0.2.6, just a few ideas.

  Thanks for reading it.

I recently picked up a second RCX and found it quite difficult to do
development using legOS on two RCXs.
  I'll need time to play with this.  It seems to me this is not the
  first time this has been mentioned in this news group.

  Has anybody thought of using the downloader as a means for setting
  the RCX id?  Seems to me it would make sense during the download
  moreso than during the kernel build.  It probably will take time
  to adjust the code to deal with this.  Can we do something in time
  for this release?  Could be easy if somebody were to focus on it.
  I'm not familiar with the LNP stuff but have a great desire to be.
  Hrm... we've so many opportunities and so little time in a day ;-)

I believe the firmdl application could load the .srec, look for a tag and
replace the tag with the user selected RCX ID.  Then transmit as it always
has.  Could be easy to implement.  However, I am not sure how to put the tag
in the code in the first place.  I did something similar on a DOS app years
ago to ensure that the file was not corrupt (checksum was saved at the tag
location... the app would then compare its checksum against the original
checksum)  I believe I declared a literal string "tag", then placed the
checksum variable next.  Maybe use __asm__ to get the tag and "RCX ID into
global variable" code...

<snip>

  It's an interesting tension because I'd also like us to get the
  main content in place in CVS as soon as we can.  So, it's hard
  for me to suggest anything that might delay... ;-)

I retrieved the latest from CVS and had problems building.  I had to remove
the  "\" from the end of some #define statements.  I guess the gcc version I
have doesn't support (multi-line) #defines using "\" or isn't configured to
allow it.

However, I was able to get the .srec, demos, utilities and lib(raries) to
compile (except for printf.c).

Has anyone else had this problem with the code currently in CVS (latest
versions)?

  This approach sound OK?

Regards,
Stephen