 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2384
Re: Proposals, Bug Fixes, etc and tracking them with SourceForge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:27:45 GMT

Stephen,

I am interested in helping out with the legOS project.  I can contribute to
the development on Windows OS and general project development and assitance.

For some background on my experiences I have
- BS and MS in Electrical Enginnering with an emphisis on digital signal
proccessing, biomedical engineering and advance mathematics
- 3 years of C programming experience, C++ familarity
- worked 1 1/2 years as an application engineer for a software company that
had very good software practices
- worked 1 1/2 years as a senior software engineer for a DSP company that
had a mix of both good and poor software practices
- embedded systems experience with emphisis on application design, autocode
generation, application coding, and host-side software (windows os).
- programming languages include C (3 yrs), C++ (basic), MATLAB (8 yrs),
Simulink (3 yrs), LabWindows (1.5 yrs), LaTeX (used for thesis), and a
desire to learn Perl and MySQL.

Some things that I am lacking include
- lack of a LEGO MindStorm and current lack of funds to purchase one
- lack of any experience on a Linux machine and little experience with unix
- fairly new experience with open source software, management, and philosophies

Most importantly I have some time and desire to contribute to the project.

I have also been talking with a neighbor of mine who has unix/Linux
adminstration and trainor experience.  He has expressed interest in working
with me on some software projects. He currently has a unix machine with a
Jan 2001 version of Solaris, a red-hat distrib of linux (which I believe he
was going to install a newer debian version?), and a windows 98 machine.

I will contact Luis about adding me as a developer to the project and will
go from there.

Ed

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Stephen M. Moraco writes:
Mark,

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Mark Meytin writes:
He also made a call for new volunteers, and listed
what's required of one (not that much really).  I think
that once a person will come forward, a lot of the things
that you mention will be resolved.  Unfortunately, I am not
in the position right now to do it - anyone else is
willing to step forward?

I'm the Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer for legOS and am a current member of the
sourceforge legOS project.  I've been talking with Luis (albeit, given his
response times it feels rather one sided [to be fair he said this would
happen...] ;-) about coordinating this next release.  I've been tracking the
RFC for 0.2.6 and responses and i've accumulated 7 or so patch sets from the
posts and from patches filed at sorceforge.  I'm studying the patches now
and am setting up to do the patch merge.  There's a lot more to say about
all of this (poss. name change, patch incorporation, doc upgrades, etc.) but
let me stop, for now, at simply saying I'm volunteering to coordinate this
next release.  I'll get into more detail in a separate posting. I am
currently waiting to be given admin privs. at the legos sourceforge project.

I look forward to hearing of interest in the next release and of course
welcome suggestions for content and offers to help !!

You can reach me by posting here or via my contact info below.  I hope this
helps spur our renewed interest in legOS (or name TBD :)

Regards,
Stephen
--
Stephen M Moraco
stephen@debian.org

FYI- did you know that on a Debian Linux box that
  'apt-get install legos' is all you need to do
  to install legos, gcc and binutils?  Then copy
  a Makefile write your C/C++ code type make and
  then download...  (unfortunately, a well kept secret?)