 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2395
Re: Proposals, Bug Fixes, etc and tracking them with SourceForge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 03:52:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Mark Falco writes:
I read over the proposed release changes for 0.2.6, just a few ideas.

  Thanks for reading it.

I recently picked up a second RCX and found it quite difficult to do
development using legOS on two RCXs.
  I'll need time to play with this.  It seems to me this is not the
  first time this has been mentioned in this news group.

  Has anybody thought of using the downloader as a means for setting
  the RCX id?  Seems to me it would make sense during the download
  moreso than during the kernel build.  It probably will take time
  to adjust the code to deal with this.  Can we do something in time
  for this release?  Could be easy if somebody were to focus on it.
  I'm not familiar with the LNP stuff but have a great desire to be.
  Hrm... we've so many opportunities and so little time in a day ;-)

Also the release change notes mentioned adding support for third party
sensors.  I've written LegOS user space drivers for a couple 3rd party sensors
i've purchached.  If there is interest I could polish them up for possible
inclusion.

The senors I've written drivers for are:

swmux - techno-stuff.com, this sensor has nine states, driver makes it easier
to decode
dirpd - techno-stuff.com, simple translation (left, right, center, none, error)
active mux - mindsensors.com, complex driver for active multiplexor.  I've
mentioned this before, and will shut up about it now :)

  I personally would like to see support for these sensors.  I think, also,
  that we must be careful to not bloat the kernel for the majority users.
  Any thoughts on how to do both?

  I'd like to see more people weigh-in on this 3rd party sensor issue.

  I'd say prepare them and file them as patches as you did with
  mux1 (against a fresh 0.2.5).  This will give us time to listen
  for comments.  And it gives time for others to play with and review
  your changes.  From a work-effort perspective, if we are to merge
  any patches having a couple more is not significantly more work
  (if your work is like your last, concise and functional.:)

  It's an interesting tension because I'd also like us to get the
  main content in place in CVS as soon as we can.  So, it's hard
  for me to suggest anything that might delay... ;-)

  This approach sound OK?

Regards,
Stephen