 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2381
Re: Proposals, Bug Fixes, etc and tracking them with SourceForge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 18:52:22 GMT

Well, I certainly have been thinking about this myself.  I am planning on
getting an account on sourceforge and volunteering for development...
however, I would not be able to take a leading role in administration.  I
sure hope someone can take up this role.  Per my other posts, I think there
are things to be done; interesting projects to try; etc...

I remember reading Luis Villa's post.  Actually, I backed away from trying
any kernel changes because of this.

I posted the proposal for tm_program_running just to see how many people
would respond... to see who is actively involved or interested.  8-)

BTW, Ed, I don't believe the lack of activity is because of the size of the
project... at least from my perspective... it is a very interesting project.
I think people have a tendency to sway back and forth between various
interests.  I know I do.

- Joe    -> (off to sourceforge)

"Mark Meytin" <mark@meytin.com> wrote in message
I think the main problem with legOS right now is lack of
consistent maintenance.  As Luis Villa noted back in February,
he can no longer devote enough time to legOS to support the
upkeep.  He also made a call for new volunteers, and listed
what's required of one (not that much really).  I think
that once a person will come forward, a lot of the things
that you mention will be resolved.  Unfortunately, I am not
in the position right now to do it - anyone else is
willing to step forward?

-M-

Ed Manlove wrote:

<snip>

What I am wandering (or babeling) about is the numerous bug reports and
enhancements reported on LUGNET where most of the activity is and very
little within the bug tracking system on SourceForge. Are there any
particular reasons for this?  Do people find it difficult to get to the
legOS project on SourceForge?  Do people find it difficult to use
SourceForge? Are people just reluctant to submitt bugs?  Without a new
feature or enhancements tracking system do people not submitt ideas • under
SourceForge bug tracking system or other database?  Is there a • reluctance
due to the fact that one wants input about their ideas and little is • given?
And once input is given is the next step(s) illusive?  Do we need to • build a
better consinous building mechanism? Or does recording and tracking • various
bugs and features seem like overkill for the (relatively small - my
words)legOS project?

So many questions!  A couple of things which I would like to propose • (and am
willing to work on) is first some enhancements to the bug tracking • database
on SourceForge and second possibly mirroring the bug submission on • LUGNET.
I am putting together some ideas for the enhancements and will present • them
here.  And I am interested to hear peoples thoughts about why we should
store and track bugs and features if at all and what would help to
facilitate this more!

Ed