 Robotics / 8397
Re: Pure Energy & the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:59:24 GMT

No, you all missed the point.

Jack was talking about the idea of LEGO(r) providing an external NiCad battery
pack solution to certain perceived problem (the difficulty of taking a robot
apart in order to change the batteries in an RCX, Scout, etc.). He said:

   "we should be able to have a battery pack and just swap it"

If LEGO(r) did such a thing they would clearly implement the battery pack as a
sealed multi-call unit, like cell phones and laptop computers do. (Why? Because
they already *have* a normal 6-cell battery pack box, and Jack did not suggest
the use of that box, which he obviously could have done)

So I was responding to Jack's ideas with my description of the problems of
multi-cell sealed battery packs.

And Jack, if you want to change your original idea to that of using a battery
box, then why not suggest adding a standard LEGO(r) 4-stud electrical connector
to the RCX and Scout whereby it could be powered by the standard LEGO(r)
battery box?

In lugnet.robotics, Wes Matchett writes:
[lots of comments assuming the cells in the battery pack are seperable]

Other replies saying essentially the same thing:

  http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=8334
  http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=8341

- Robert Munafo                            www.mrob.com