 Robotics / 8341
Re: Pure Energy & the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 00:50:01 GMT

Robert Munafo <munafo@gcctechNO.SPAMcom> wrote in message
news:FLExzw.6yG@lugnet.com...
It's strange to see you describe the "how to find the bad cell" problem • with
reference to Alkaline cells, then go right on and suggest the use of • Ni-Cad
battery packs!

It may seem so, but the years of experience with NiCd, and the support for
them is much better.  For example, most serious packs are made with
"matched" cells, which have the same behavior under discharge, so they all
go together.  Plus, the same tools can be used to find truly bad cells.  I
buy NiCd's from SR Batteries in NY, and you simply can't get them to fail.
I have used a single pack for 10 years without even a hiccup.  These are
"serious" batteries, not Walmart's, and the initial cost is high, but they
are just about free after ten years of constant use.

I don't doubt such mastery of the chemicals in Akalines is possible, but you
certainly can't buy it at Walmart.

Ni-Cad batteries have to be discharged fully before recharging, for best
results. (Unlike alkaline and lead-acid cells, Ni-Cads develop "memory"
problems from being less-than-fully discharged). So, naturally, users of • NiCad
packs will try to use the pack until it's dead, before recharging it.

This is an old myth.  I suppose it is destined to live forever though; FUD
from the other companies will keep it alive.

I just speak from my experience.  NiCds I trust, Renewals I don't.  Lots of
money and time spent on both.

--Jack Gregory