 Robotics / 8329
Re: Pure Energy & the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 22:21:16 GMT

I don't know about other rechargables, but bad Ni-Cds can be identified.

The charger I use has a test mode which measures the battery's characteristics
(perhaps putting a load on it a observing the voltage discharge curve?) and
indicates its output voltage and if its bad.  It's the Radio Shack 23-410
Charger/Conditioner and knows the diff between Ni-Cd and Ni-Mh.  Ni-Cds are
drained before charging and put on trickle charge when full.  It has kept
several sets of Ni-Cds working for me for quite a while: I have 6 that are at
least 5 years old and still running fine.

-Wes

I don't use Ni-Mh, so I can't comment on how well they endure.

Robert Munafo wrote:

It's strange to see you describe the "how to find the bad cell" problem with
reference to Alkaline cells, then go right on and suggest the use of Ni-Cad
battery packs!

Ni-Cad battery packs have the same problem that any other type of serial
multi-cell battery pack has: there's no way to find or eliminate one bad cell.

Ni-Cad batteries have to be discharged fully before recharging, for best
results. (Unlike alkaline and lead-acid cells, Ni-Cads develop "memory"
problems from being less-than-fully discharged). So, naturally, users of NiCad
packs will try to use the pack until it's dead, before recharging it.

When this is done, after 10 to 20 discharge cycles you reach the point where
one cell in a 6-cell pack gets down to 0 volts while the other 5 cells are
still at near-nominal voltage and still have a fair amount of stored energy.
The result is that the weak cell will then begin to be *reverse* charged by the
other 5 cells in the pack. Reverse charging is even worse than the memory
effect.

- Robert Munafo                             www.mrob.com

(Note: A "cell" is a single enclosed chemical system, and a "battery" is a
group of cells. Cells can be grouped in series, in parallel, or both.)

In lugnet.robotics, Jack Gregory writes:
[...] managing a set of [rechargable alkaline cells] is fraught with peril.
[lacking] a "bad battery" tester. [...] Some freak battery that isn't
cutting it gets in your pack, and you can't find it. [...]

[...] we could make [an external] 7-cell NiCd pack to replace
the 6 (8.4v vs 9.0) in the RCX [...] I am actually surprised
that more people don't discuss this [...]