 Robotics / 8334
Re: Pure Energy & the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 22:57:45 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Robert Munafo writes:
It's strange to see you describe the "how to find the bad cell" problem with
reference to Alkaline cells, then go right on and suggest the use of Ni-Cad
battery packs!

Ni-Cad battery packs have the same problem that any other type of serial
multi-cell battery pack has: there's no way to find or eliminate one bad cell.

Actually, finding a bad NiCd is easy - split the battery into its component
cells, and individually charge/discharge them (or even just check their voltage
and polarity if they're REALLY shot) to rate their characteristics. Dedicated
racers, and profitable companies, match new cells this way - and double the
price of a pack in the process!

It's the alkaline rechargeables that are the problem.. I've found that fully
discharging one of these cells kills it completely - ruining it, venting its
internals. This makes finding a bad one rather difficult. Someone mentioned
earlier in the thread that the charger finds bad cells by not charging them -
well, I can't say I've had that happen. Even an unvented but toasted cell
allows the illusion that it has taken a charge. But that's just my own
experience.

Ni-Cad batteries have to be discharged fully before recharging, for best
results. (Unlike alkaline and lead-acid cells, Ni-Cads develop "memory"
problems from being less-than-fully discharged). So, naturally, users of NiCad
packs will try to use the pack until it's dead, before recharging it.

When this is done, after 10 to 20 discharge cycles you reach the point where
one cell in a 6-cell pack gets down to 0 volts while the other 5 cells are
still at near-nominal voltage and still have a fair amount of stored energy.
The result is that the weak cell will then begin to be *reverse* charged by
the other 5 cells in the pack. Reverse charging is even worse than the memory
effect.

One more caveat here - NiCd's must never be discharged past 0.9 volts per cell.
Not in regular use, anyway. Hardcore R/C racers will discharge batteries, then
dead-short them for storage. (not recommended for casual users or the faint of
heart!) If you don't REALLY know what you're doing, you risk the same damage
Rob lists above - reverse-charging a cell in a pack, or worse.

While we're on the subject of charging, no battery should ever be overcharged.
Timer chargers should never be left unattended - always watch 'em like a hawk.
As one racer in my R/C club can attest, an overcharged NiCd makes a lousy
rocket engine....

Be safe and have fun!
K.M.