 Robotics / 8274
Re: Pure Energy & the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:35:59 GMT

Regarding Rechargeable Alkaline Batteries:

DON'T USE THEM DON'T USE THEM DON'T USE THEM DON'T USE THEM

Wh- ..Why? you ask, bewildered.
Well, I suppose maybe my reaction is a bit strong, but I absolutely hate these
batteries. They're a nightmare to manage in any great quantity. In order to
keep them functioning properly, they must be recharged very regularly and
_without_ fully discharging them. A full discharge is death to these cells.
On top of that, they charge/discharge at a different rate for each cell, so
groups of cells go "out of match", i.e. the charge/discharge characteristics
for each cell wanders in its own direction and at its own rate from production
specs over their lifespan. And quickly in some cases. This being the case, it
is very difficult to keep groups of cells in good working order. I've actually
had cells <hiss> at me. For no apparent reason. I was following all the
directions to the letter, and still these cells decided to vent their
internals. Whatever chemicals they use, I don't want 'em spread all over my
gear, that's for certain.

Why on earth should you heed my raving? Well, I've been an R/C racer for years,
so I have a pretty good clue how to manage batteries of all kinds. We all use
'AA' size cells of one sort or another for our radio transmitters - gear that
can be worth up to $1000, depending on what you're using. Not something you
want blown apart by a bad battery. I'm not the only one with this experience
with rechargeable alkalines - I'm involved in a rather large R/C club, and
several of the other racers have tried them with the same results.

---

Of course, if you've been using these batteries for any length of time (over 3
months) with a modicum of success, please tell me the secret! I've still got
several chargers sitting around from when I first found these batteries and
bought a whole bunch....
I can make NiCd's sing, but these things just hate me. So I hate 'em back. :)

Just my 32 cents
K.M.