 Robotics / 8275
Re: Pure Energy & the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:41:25 GMT

I've been using them in a GPS for a couple years. They don't get a lot of
use, but I've never had any problem. When using the GPS I like being able to
always start out the day with a fresh set of batteries. I probably never did
a full discharge of the batteries and they were recharged at the end of the
day. I've been using them in my Lego stuff too, but only for a couple
months.

However, the batteries are harder to find than they used to be so I wonder
if people have been having the problems you had, thus affecting sales.

-Mike Kory

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Maynes <ERASETHISBITkmaynes@powersurfr.com>
Newsgroups: lugnet.robotics
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 2:35 AM
Subject: Re: Pure Energy & the RCX

Regarding Rechargeable Alkaline Batteries:

DON'T USE THEM DON'T USE THEM DON'T USE THEM DON'T USE THEM

Wh- ..Why? you ask, bewildered.
Well, I suppose maybe my reaction is a bit strong, but I absolutely hate • these
batteries. They're a nightmare to manage in any great quantity. In order • to
keep them functioning properly, they must be recharged very regularly and
_without_ fully discharging them. A full discharge is death to these • cells.
On top of that, they charge/discharge at a different rate for each cell, • so
groups of cells go "out of match", i.e. the charge/discharge • characteristics
for each cell wanders in its own direction and at its own rate from • production
specs over their lifespan. And quickly in some cases. This being the case, • it
is very difficult to keep groups of cells in good working order. I've • actually
had cells <hiss> at me. For no apparent reason. I was following all the
directions to the letter, and still these cells decided to vent their
internals. Whatever chemicals they use, I don't want 'em spread all over • my
gear, that's for certain.

Why on earth should you heed my raving? Well, I've been an R/C racer for • years,
so I have a pretty good clue how to manage batteries of all kinds. We all • use
'AA' size cells of one sort or another for our radio transmitters - gear • that
can be worth up to $1000, depending on what you're using. Not something • you
want blown apart by a bad battery. I'm not the only one with this • experience
with rechargeable alkalines - I'm involved in a rather large R/C club, and
several of the other racers have tried them with the same results.

---

Of course, if you've been using these batteries for any length of time • (over 3
months) with a modicum of success, please tell me the secret! I've still • got
several chargers sitting around from when I first found these batteries • and
bought a whole bunch....
I can make NiCd's sing, but these things just hate me. So I hate 'em back. • :)

Just my 32 cents
K.M.