 Robotics / 8289
Re: Pure Energy & the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:53:44 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jack Gregory writes:
I fully concur.  They seem to work well initially, but managing a set of
them is fraught with peril.  It wouldn't be so bad if there was a "bad
battery" tester.  But there isn't.  So some freak battery that isn't cutting
it gets in your pack, and you can't find it.  But the pack won't work as a
set for long.  There is no way to find the bad one.  I even made a single
battery tester consisting of a motor that would run on 1.5 v, and I still
had a hard time.

Yep, and when one is bad, it takes down the rest of 'em...

It is really too bad.  I think the battery industry is very "bad" in
general, and try to keep competitors out.  So you hear all sorts of FUD when
a new thing comes along, and there is the usual attempts to keep competitors
off shelves.

Don't know about retail and shelf space and so on, but I know there's one
distributor that gets first pick of all sub-c Sanyo NiCd's that come off the
line....

But here is the real question: Why didn't LEGO make the batteries separate
from the RCX?  Changing batts in a built-up creation is a nightmare.  We
should be able to have a battery pack and just swap it.  Then we could make
a 7-cell NiCd pack to replace the 6 (8.4v vs 9.0) in the RCX, and we could
have several.  I am actually surprised that more people don't discuss this,
and LEGO doesn't recognize the flexibility such modularity would have.  Of
course, they would need to have some kind of female connector.

Well, that's easy enough to build yourself.. I'm not sure about the newest
RCX's and other bricks, but mine has a female adapter jack on its tail end.
You'd just need an appropriate male barrel connector, and wire it up to a
battery of the cells of your choice. Although with NiCd's I'd recommend 8 or
even 9 cells. NiCd's tend to start with a roaring peak for the first few
seconds (I've got some cells that start their cycle at 1.5v) then run most of
their cycle around 1 to 1.1 volts per cell. You want to stick within the range
of 9 to 12 volts without under- or over-powering the brick for any length of
time.
Odd, I've been into R/C racing and the related battery stuff for years, but I
never thought to point those skills in the direction of my RCX.. >doh!<
Now that I've said it can be done, I suppose I'll have to do it. :)

If there's plenty of interest I could be convinced to take pictures....

K.M.