 Robotics / 8398
Re: pyroelectric sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 23:15:49 GMT

Michael Gasperi wrote:

Too bad the sensor doen't have enough output to directly drive the RCX
input.  Is the 5V regulator really necessary for the pyrolectric sensor to
work?  It looks like it has a fairly broad operating voltage spec. 5-15VDC.
--

Maybe it can run without an analog interface, and maybe it can run
without a voltage regulator, but I don't know because I haven't tried it

Assuming that at the very least the sensor gets 5 volts in, and outputs
between 0-5 volts, perhaps it can be connected directly to the rcx as
long as one knows which lead is V+ and which lead is ground (on the
rcx).  So in brief, maybe only a bridge rectifier and voltage regulator
are needed, and one can do without the op-amp.

I got another dual element pyroelectric sensor, which I ripped out of a
radioshack security motion sensor (part #49-208).  The sensor itself is
made by Heimann, and has the inscriptions "185", "LHI 958", and "3936"
on it.  Does anybody know where I can get the specs for it?

--
Cheers,
Henry C.