 Robotics / 740
Re: legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 02:23:20 GMT

     Does anyone use legOS?  I read that there are possible risks to
getting other ROM images.  What are the risks?

Did you get a ROM image?  Did you disassemble the firmware?  Even if you
did, is there anything to forbid you from using that information to write
new firmware?  Not that I'm supplying you with an answer, but it seems to
me that it's your RCX, why can't you do what you like with the hardware now
that you've bought it, especially if you use a piece of software that was
(supposedly) written without using any code from the original firmware or
ROM, except possibly for the "Do you byte, when I knock?" string, which is
otherwise needed for compatibility?

     I am using a GNU/Linux machine.  Is there anything else involved in
using legOS other than getting GNU binutils, building a gcc cross compiler
for h8300-hitachi-hms, compiling legOS, and downloading it to the RCX?

No.  Except that you will almost certainly want to check out:

http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/

for more information on the ROM image and firmware.

-Kekoa