 Robotics / 784
Re: legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:05:09 GMT

Guys,

Everyone seems to be missing one point:

The RCX does have ROM code (this is what loads the firmware the first
time, right?).  If you were to "jam up" the firmware, you could just
simply remove the batteries, let the firmware (which must be in battery
backed SRAM) fade away, and reload the Mind(less)Storm crap :-).

the only possibility of any [physical damage to the brick would be if
Lego did a poor hardware design job and you could program something into
an overload state (like on the old IBM fixed frequency VGA monitors
;-).  I highly doubt that this is possible based on the high quality
engineering and QA job that Lego does on every one of their products I
have seen over the last 30 years (geez, do I sound as old as I think?
;-).

Take care (and hack those bricks ;-)
KJohn

Kekoa Proudfoot wrote:

I think he meants risks as in "I installed LegOS, and it got wedged, and
I can't reinstall the official Lego stuff, so now I've got a very very
expensive lego brick that does nothing".

Such risks are unknown.  You have to trust, in the case of LegOS, that
Markus did a reasonable job.  He in turn probably has some amount of trust
that I did a reasonable job, at least with regards to some aspects.  If
you're not sure about whether or not these risks are significant, and if
you're worried about having to replace a broken Lego brick, then by all
means listen to the disclaimers, don't make use of the information on my
web page, and don't use LegOS.

Of course, if you're looking for reasons to be confident with LegOS,
conisder that Markus and others have been using the software with no
destructive effect.  As more and more people use the software, you can be
more and more sure that the software is okay.

It seems to me that Lego's position would logically be "If you install
anything that we don't sell, you're on your own".

Definitely.

-Kekoa