 Robotics / 740
  Re: legOS

Has anyone be able to unpack the LegOS file. I have the CYGNUS GCC on my Wintel system. Using GZIP I get this error "Invaled Compressed Data - Format Violation" I would like to try out LegOS and see if it will allow memory storage/retrieval. I have (...) (25 years ago, 24-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: legOS

(...) Did you get a ROM image? Did you disassemble the firmware? Even if you did, is there anything to forbid you from using that information to write new firmware? Not that I'm supplying you with an answer, but it seems to me that it's your RCX, (...) (25 years ago, 25-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: legOS

Hi, Thanks for your response. I have been reading your pages over the past few days. I do not have the RCX (yet), but I am very interested. I learned of it this weekend and have been reading the specs. I am as interested in playing with operating (...) (25 years ago, 25-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: legOS

(...) For some Pilot <--> RCX information take a look at (URL) if you haven't yet. This honestly is quite lagging on progress, but I _have_ been working on it in my very limited spare time. Hopefully within a week or two I'll have some much more (...) (25 years ago, 25-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: legOS

(...) Hi, You can get legOS at (URL) . There is a note that some people have a problem with the file after downloading. Instead of clicking on the file, right click and select save link. It will save as legOS-0.1.2.tgz . Then run tar -xzf (...) (25 years ago, 25-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: legOS

I have downloaded OK and since it is both tared and zip, you hve to first unzip it using "GZIP". GZIP is like Compress. Gzip (compress) -d legOS-0_1_2.tgz - uncompress the file tar -xzf legOS-0_1_2.t unarchive it. I am getting the error when I try (...) (25 years ago, 25-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: legOS

(...) Hi, When you run tar with the -xzf parameters, it first ungzips it then it untars it, all in the one command. The "z" is for gzip. The "x" is for extract the tar file. The "f" specifies the file. , __ _ _ , /|/ \o | | | | /| | | __/ | | | | (...) (25 years ago, 25-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: legOS

(...) I think he meants risks as in "I installed LegOS, and it got wedged, and I can't reinstall the official Lego stuff, so now I've got a very very expensive lego brick that does nothing". It seems to me that Lego's position would logically be "If (...) (25 years ago, 25-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: legOS

(...) Such risks are unknown. You have to trust, in the case of LegOS, that Markus did a reasonable job. He in turn probably has some amount of trust that I did a reasonable job, at least with regards to some aspects. If you're not sure about (...) (25 years ago, 25-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: legOS

Guys, Everyone seems to be missing one point: The RCX does have ROM code (this is what loads the firmware the first time, right?). If you were to "jam up" the firmware, you could just simply remove the batteries, let the firmware (which must be in (...) (25 years ago, 25-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: legOS

(...) Er? Since when you rewrite the firmware, you can take full control of the i/o pins of the H8, it seems perfectly possible to me to drive inputs as outputs and fry something you didn't mean to fry... You have to be careful to make sure you (...) (25 years ago, 26-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: legOS

I managed to get my Cybermaster into a "vibrating" state with the motors humming and the unit shaking! (downloaded some commands while it was running) None of the buttons worked and it did not sound very healthy so I ripped the batteries out (...) (25 years ago, 26-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)