 Robotics / 6522
6521  |  6523
Subject:
Obj.: r/c servos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:20:57 GMT

To add more to all those servo information, I've build a servo
controller which use the printer connector on the PC. It doesn't use any
electronic, everything is made by software (Delphi 3.0) It is quite
usefull to try this at home since you'll understand *exactly* how works
a servo motor, it's advantage and disadvantage...
But I'm not sure this could be made with RCX, since timing is very
important.

Every 20 msec (not critical, let's say 60 msec is good also) you have to
send a pulse of a length *between* 1 to 2 msec. The length gives the
position of the servo arm.

Take a look at : http://users.skynet.be/clairetnet/homepage/servo1.htm

(partially translated in english...)

Philippe

Kekoa Proudfoot a écrit :

Robert Munafo <munafo@gcctechNO.SPAMcom> wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (John Barnes) writes:
[...] This would set the average servo, which needs a pulse from about
0.7 - 2.0 mS for 180 degress to one of about 45 steps or every 5 degrees
[...]

I can't understand this. Can you correct your grammar so it is clear what
you're saying the average servo needs?

I think what John was trying to say was that pulse widths between 0.7 ms
and 2.0 ms give servo rotations between 0 and 180 degrees.  With 45 steps
in that range, you can control the servo in 5 degree increments.

Seems to me he was approximating a bit, since 180 degrees is either 36
steps of 5 degrees each or 45 steps of 4 degrees each; 45 steps of 5
degrees each adds up to 225 degrees.

-Kekoa

                             Philippe Jadin
                     mailto:philippe.jadin@skynet.be