 Robotics / 6473
Re: r/c servos and firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:35:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Hempel writes:
[...] The servo takes a 60Hz (approx) pulse width signal between 1 and
2 msec.
The pulses are fed into a little circuit that generates an analog level
that is used in a comparator whose other input comes from a pot on the
output arm of the servo. [...] The 1 msec pulse corresponds to one end
of the limit of rotation, and the 2 msec pulse is the other end. [...]

Okay! Finally I got it! (-:

It sounds to me like servos can't rotate continuously in the same direction. In
other words, they're good for steering but not for turning the wheels that make
the car go. Is that right?

Anyway, having heard that (plus the paragraphs I deleted about calibration and
software) I would have to say that servos don't sound all that useful. At least
not as useful as I was thinking they would be...

How about using stepper motors instead? These are motors that have internal
gear reduction and extra internal fixed magnets, and take pulses (either
positive or negative). If the pulse width is right, each pulse makes it move a
certain (fixed) number of degrees (the size of the step is the angular spacing
of the armature arms divided by the gearbox reduction ratio). Are there any
9-volt stepper motors that work with pulses of 10 msec, or a multiple of 10
msec?

- Robert Munafo                            http://www.mrob.com
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13