 Robotics / 6478
RE: r/c servos and firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:52:55 GMT

It sounds to me like servos can't rotate continuously in the same
direction. In
other words, they're good for steering but not for turning the
wheels that make
the car go. Is that right?

Exactly. See
   http://www.volz-servos.com/english/english.html
for examples. These servos have a little disc or cross on top with holes at
the edges. The servos can turn the disc only 45 degrees in each direction.
They are used for moving flaps or rudders on model airplanes. You bend a 90
degree angle in the end of a stiff wire or rod, and hook that into the disc.
You connect the other end in a similar fashion to the item that you want to
move back and forth.

   I have also seen servos that have a pair of sliders on top. The two
sliders are moving in opposite direction. Servos are very strong, and allow
positioning without the need for a feedback sensor.

  Tilman