 Robotics / 6470
Re: r/c servos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 21:20:53 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Kekoa Proudfoot writes:
Robert Munafo <munafo@gcctechNO.SPAMcom> wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (John Barnes) writes:
[...] This would set the average servo, which needs a pulse from about
0.7 - 2.0 mS for 180 degress to one of about 45 steps or every 5 degrees
[...]

I think what John was trying to say was that pulse widths between 0.7 ms
and 2.0 ms give servo rotations between 0 and 180 degrees.  With 45 steps
in that range, you can control the servo in 5 degree increments.

That doesn't make sense either. If a single step of 2.0 ms causes 180 degrees
of rotation, then how does 45 steps allow you to control it 5 degrees at a
time?

Seems to me he was approximating a bit, since 180 degrees is either 36
steps of 5 degrees each or 45 steps of 4 degrees each; 45 steps of 5
degrees each adds up to 225 degrees.

Are you saying that the servo actually operates in steps of one degree each?

I'm interested in all this because servos sound like they might be useful!

- Robert Munafo                            http://www.mrob.com
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13