 Robotics / 4688
4687  |  4689
Subject:
Pics of 1999 Mindstorms items
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 01:23:40 GMT

The press room at www.legomindstorms.com  has some new pictures of the two
new kits due out this year.

From these pictures, it's clear that the "Scout" unit - in the Robotics
Discovery Kit - is very similar to the RCX; it has only 2 inputs, and
either 2 or 3 (the picture's not clear) outputs.

The "Micro-Scout" unit - in the Droid kit - doesn't have any visible
inputs or outputs apart from the motor(s); the picture of the R2-D2 model
appears to suggest that there are two motor shafts, although the unit only
looks big enough to house one 5225 motor. (In the picture R2-D2's front
wheel appears to be steerable and drivable... not clear how they achieve
this though!)  There's also a nice view of the new crown gear - two of
them shown in the R2-D2 model.

Looking at the picture of R2-D2, you have to wonder what the other 400
pieces are?! (the Droid kit apparently contains around 600 ... far more
than R2-D2 uses!)

Stuart