 Robotics / 22765
Re: Future Mindstorm Releases?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:41:00 GMT

Harold Jarvie wrote:

  I'n my kids schools they don't want to know about lego because of the cost.
They say picaxe is more suitable cause its cheaper and scaleable.  The kids make
structural components themselves in other areas of the technology curriculum
like woodwork.  Not as flash ot tech looking but they do the same learning for
way less money....  or so the argument goes

It's hard to imagine how such teaching methods would get kid to learn computer
programming - or about sensors or about robot navigation - or even simple stuff
like gear ratios.

Mindstorms is revolutionary because it can teach those things - and in a way that
gets kids excited about it.

Doing wood and metalworking in a shop class teaches a lot about how to use
tools - but the focus is heavily biassed towards the process of making things
rather than on the design of those things.

In ten years from now - when those kids enter the job market - which child will
get a better career - the one with the computer/robotics skills or the one
who knows when to use a tenon saw and when to use a crosscut saw?

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net