 Robotics / 22764
Re: Future Mindstorm Releases?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:57:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Strout wrote:

you still have that 3 I/O limitation of the RCX in your
face whenever you try to do a more serious robot.

   Well, looking at some of the more "serious" robots out there, it's amazing
what you can do with "just" 3 sensor ports. I currently have robots that use 6
sensors (three light, three touch), and I can easily extend that to at least one
more active sensor (you can gang light sensors under some conditions) and
numerous passive sensors (using resistors, for instance - I use LEGO
lightbricks).
   That said, I can think of at least a couple modifications to the RCX itself
that I'd like (i.e.- would probably entice me to shell out another $200 or so
for the new model). An IR system including the functionality seen in the
Spybots, and (pleasepleasepleaseplease) back-emf sensing on the outputs. The
last gets rid of a bunch of sensor issues right there, yet doesn't change the
external accessories at all. I've no idea it's cost, however, either in hardware
or in slowing down the standard firmware more to handle it.

Consider, a reasonably sensitive robot that's intended
to navigate around a room might want the following:

   11 sensors? Huh. I've seen robots that can do a reasonable job of navigating
using far less than this. Four distance sensors? Why? Why not one distance
sensor, and turn the platform? Two rotation sensors? Why not one on one wheel of
a differential drive platform (if you know if you're driving straight or
pivoting, you can use that to estimate both linear distance and turning).
   Would it be nice to have 10, 20, 30 sensors? Sure. But often the limits of
the system are what draw me to it. Can I solve this problem within the confines
of the system? If not, what's the *minimum* I need to solve the problem?
   That's from the standpoint of an AFOL - from the standpoint of FLL, I think
trying to get the average 9-14 year old to coordinate more than 5 sensors or so
it going to be a liability, not an asset.

--
Brian Davis