 Robotics / 22755
Re: Future Mindstorm Releases?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 05:33:14 GMT

  I'n my kids schools they don't want to know about lego because of the cost.
They say picaxe is more suitable cause its cheaper and scaleable.  The kids make
structural components themselves in other areas of the technology curriculum
like woodwork.  Not as flash ot tech looking but they do the same learning for
way less money....  or so the argument goes

   Harold

I just looked up PICAXE, if you're interested, here is an associated site.

<http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Store.jsp>

If the argument for the PICAXE (or the MARK III) is the price, then how about
adaptability, multi-use, ease of programming, curriculum support, etc.

I've had a lot of Lego Robotics students (kids 10 - 14) move onto nuts&bolts
robots.  I've also had lots of kids from the nuts&bolts robotics classes come
and take up Lego Mindstorms to experience fast prototyping and programming.

I propose that kids who follow a process of diacovery... those who find out on
their own what works and what doesn't in rapid succession, will be better
prepared for the "measure twice before you cut" regimen.  It will also, in my
opinion, end up to be less costly.